How do I quit breastfeeding?

I have decided not to breastfeed and now I am engorged with milk. what can I do for comfort and to dry up quicker? how long till my breasts dry up? any advice would help, thanks!

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 11:07 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• You need to wean slowly. Give up one feeding every 5-7 days or so. I quit cold turkey with my first. It was horrible. My breasts leaked for months and it was very painful.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:16 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Stop nursing and pumping completely. You will be engorge, but your breast will stop producing milk eventually...actually rather quickly as long as you do not create a demand for more milk by emptying your breast. Wear a supportive bra all the time and take Tylenol for any discomfort you may feel. I don't see the harm in an ice pack...but warmth may cause your milk to let down. You may wake up for a few nights and have to change your top because of leakage.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 11:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I would pump some not all milk to help with discomfort. It make take a few weeks but your breast will slowly stop producing milk. Remember that the less the baby nurseor you pump the lower you milk supply.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Yes mompam is also right, if weaning slowly is an option.
    CallMeAngie

• It really depends on your body. Some woman dry up rather quickly with cold turkey without to much pain... some woman can stop cold turkey and leak for months on end.
    Since its not natural to quit so quickly, I would recommend weaning so that its not a shock to your body and hormones.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:50 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• I agree with doing it gradually. If you're making the decision to stop because of a problem you're having, and would like to continue and try to resolve it, let us know, we can probably help. If you're making the decision to stop simply because it's what YOU WANT to do, then try to do it at least a little gradually, even over a week's time would be helpful, or pump, and slowly cut pump sessions out. I answered in your other question too, but I'll post it here...cold cabbage leaves, veins broken, placed in the cups of your bra, and removed and/or changed when they begin to wilt will help with drying up. Motrin for discomfort. Supportive, well fitting bra. NO BINDING your breasts, no too tight bras. If you decide NOT to do it gradually, or decide NOT to pump and slowly decrease, those tips will be helpful. If you are very uncomfortable, you can express, via pump, or hand expression, JUST ENOUGH to relieve the discomfort
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 AM on May. 1, 2011