How can you really tell if your baby is ready to potty train?

my 17month old is showing what i think are signs that hes ready to potty train. Like he runs into the bathroom lifts the the seat up, he plays with the tolite paper, and he takes off his diaper and runs into the bathroom and squats by the tolite!! is that his way of telling me hes ready.. and how do i go about training him. First time mom here!!

AngelsMommy2009

Asked by AngelsMommy2009 at 11:22 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in General Parenting

• that's pretty young to potty train. Usually closer to 3-3 1/2 especially boys...when they wake up dry in am after naps etc...hope that helps
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• i know its pretty young for boys but im not sure if hes young for him.. like i said he is showing signs im just trying to figure out if i should wait till he turns two or if he should start not.. i already have a potty chair for when its time to start potty training.. and i unpacked it from its box and he loves sitting on it.. pretty much ever time i have to change his diaper he goes an sits on it then he comes to me to get his diaper changed cause its dirty by the time he gets off it.. is it just me or do i think me might be advanced with this part of the milstone.. im realy not sure.. im just looking at getting input.. and Thanks Mk.. i will really think about it..
    AngelsMommy2009

Comment by AngelsMommy2009 (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• If you think he is ready then go for it. If you wait until later it may be harder to get him interested in it again. So give it a shot. If he is resistant then wait a few months and try agin.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:35 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• My older daughter showed signa around 18 months but lost interest quickly. I bought her a potty seat and she would pee on it sometimes then she just kind of stopped until 2. When she was 2 she was easy to train. I say try it but don't get discouraged if it doesn't really stick.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with trying now. My DD showed signs around 18 months. So we bought her a potty, and she did really well, for about a week. Then she started fighting it. So we stopped, and plan to try again soon. Just try it out and go at his pace...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:22 AM on May. 1, 2011

• They don't usually 'show signs'..Just start in...I started my 4 kids at 20 months and all 4 were trained by 22 mos...Not exaggeratting!...Make it a joyous event, reward them with a basket of candies, etc that u place on the back of the toilet...My daughter skipped and hopped down the hall cuz she knew she was getting a 'smartie' out of the basket !....
    Marcie_smiles

Answer by Marcie_smiles at 12:33 AM on May. 1, 2011

• google 'toilet training readiness' and you will see useful info links
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:52 AM on May. 1, 2011