Do u think it is fair that if someone leaves a bar and they get into an accident,

the bar could lose its liquor license and the bartender could also be held responsible ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• No, not fair. You can't keep someone in one place, or force them to find another ride or hand their keys over. The the most they can do is call the cops, but if it's a packed bar or something, how would they even know if the person left. How do they even know if the person is driving, or taking a cab, or with a friend, or getting picked up? It's not the bar, or bartender's job to babysit. Cutting a person off who's obviously drunk is part of their job though, and more of them should really do it.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:55 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Not fair at all. Each person is responsible for their own actions. A bartender is not a babysitter.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 2:08 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Hard to say. they did serve them and allowed them to leave. On the other hand, if they didn't they would not be in business.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:44 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• NO. but it isn't fair to have drunk in public laws, where you don't have to be bothering anyone, just drunk outside, either.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:27 AM on May. 1, 2011

• As a victim of a drunk driver who was WAY too intoxicated, who hit and almost killed me, yes. They should stop serving once the person starts acting intoxicated.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 8:00 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I know dont know, my thougths are more with the victim. You know the person the drunk ran over or tried driving through. I could NEVER bartend I'm not a big fan of drunks.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 8:10 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Nope, but in the world of "it's not my fault" and a lack of personal responsibility, this is where we end up. It is everyone else's fault that anyone does anything. Wrong that is. We always take responsibility for the things we do right. I guess it is "selective" personal responsibility.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:16 AM on May. 1, 2011

• No, it's not fair unless the bartender/waitstaff know he's visibly intoxicated and still serve the customer alcholic beverages. People need to take responsibility for their actions. LOL, that even made me laugh!
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:20 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Personally, I think that either bars should cease to exist, or at least not have parking lots.

I firmly believe that there should be a mandatory death penalty for any DUI that maims or kills someone.

A bartender's job is to serve drinks, not babysit or try and figure out which drunk is too drunk to drive. One drink is enough to impair many people ~ and two puts just about everyone over the legal limit.

Personally, I don't think anyone should have the right to get drunk and drive ... and call it 'having a good time'. Find some way to have a good time that doesn't endanger everyone else who happens to be out driving, walking along the road, riding a bike, or sitting in their living room (for those who mistake a house for the road!). Stop allowing drunks to blame what they do on someone else!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:44 AM on May. 1, 2011

• It is a responsibility that the individual drinker should shoulder, not the bar's responsibility to watch over the customers. WHatever happened to people having the brains to know when they are too drunk to drive> How about the "designated driver" plan? DOesn't anyone do that anymore?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:57 AM on May. 1, 2011