• In the Spotlight:

How old?

at what age do you have the period talk with your daughter? what age did they start?

esmith1984

Asked by esmith1984 at 11:46 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I had the talk with my 1st at the age of 11. She started at the age of 12. My 2nd I had the talk with her at 10 1/2 she had just started the same day.
    I have not decided what age yet for my 3rd girl yet for she is only 3....

Honest opinion I would have the talk at about 10 or so. I was always told that your girls would start around the same age as you did.
    A522R

Answer by A522R at 11:53 PM on Apr. 30, 2011

• Well my daughter is 4 and she has asked me about it because she has been in the bathroom with me when I change my pad or tampon and I tell her that it's something that happens to girls and it will happen to one her day but not for a while. She just said okay and went about her business but if I ask her to get me a tampon or pad she knows and I guess it's not too early for her to know since she will get it eventually.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 12:27 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I talked to both of my girls when each of them was around 7 years old. I did not want them to be unprepared for it just in case they happened to start at an early age. I started mine at age 8 and was unprepared for it, so I didn't want my girls to go through the same thing. Luckily, neither one of them started til they were 11.
    ZBandMom

Answer by ZBandMom at 1:05 AM on May. 1, 2011

• They have a special "day" here in our school district in about fifth grade about "becoming a young woman" and a "young man". I didn't necessarily talk to my daughter about her period in depth (why it happens etc) until after the "day" and asked her if she had questions, but about age 11 I did tell her what may happen ( blood in her underwear, or brownish discharge) and how she should deal with it if it happened at school. We kept pads in the zipper pocket of her book bag for an emergency. I knew though it was going to happen soon when she was very cranky (age 12 and a half) and said my stomache hurts but not my stomache. I told her that is one of the signs that she may start soon and she did at school the next day she called me at her lunchtime to tell me. I asked if she was ok, she said yes, she got out the "emergency supplies" and handled it well. I did the same thing with my stepdaughters when they came to live with us.
    katt_1025

Answer by katt_1025 at 4:50 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Around age 11 they usually go by the mother, if you started at age 12 then they probably will too
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 3:04 PM on May. 4, 2011

• I started abt 3yrs old with all of my kids-that is when they asked questions really and I was honest. More indepth came abt 8yrs old.
    momto3infl

Answer by momto3infl at 5:35 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Oh and my oldest started at 11.5yrs of age. My son is in the beg stages of his puberty
    momto3infl