Febrile seizures ?

When my daughter was 11 months (she's 23 months now), she wasn't feeling so well, so we put her down for a nap. Well, she got up when she heard me get in the shower. She likes to sit at the bottom and play while I'm in there, so I let her. Well, no sooner than her feet hit the water did her body go limp, and she started convulsing. It makes me cry just thinking about it. Her seizure lasted 25 minutes and the EMT's had to drill this thing into her leg bone to get it stop. The doctor says it was a febrile seizure, but at the time her temperature was 99 degrees even. So now every time she gets shots, or just a little bit warm, my stomach gets all tied up in knots and I'm scared to death to take my eyes off her. I was just wondering if any of you have been through this, and if so, how do you cope when they get fevers now ?

Mrs.Harris138

Asked by Mrs.Harris138 at 11:48 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Health

• My daughter is now 5 and I have been dealing with febrile seizures since she was 19 months old. She has had at least 16 seizures her entire life that I can count off the top of my head. To be honest you might want to switch doctors or get a second opinion. To my knowledge most febrile seizures don't last more than 2-3 minutes. I have seen specialists, neurologists, I've even switched her doctor because I needed answers not for someone to just tell me it's a febrile seizue and she'll grow out of it.

I know it sounds odd but I have grown use to the seizures after the 3 or 4 time. When my daughter gets a fever, the second I feel she is hot I give her motrin then take her to the docs right away because there is usally an underlying problem. (ear infection, bronchitis etc) When they have a fever you have to stay on top of giving them fever reducer this way the seizures will be kep tat bay.
    MsViv

Answer by MsViv at 1:02 AM on May. 1, 2011

• My niece has epilepsy, and so did my mother's aunt. So it runs in our family, and I've been paranoid that might have been the start of it. I pushed for them to do more testing and they did an EEG and said everything was normal. I'm not too sure I'm satisfied with that, because my baby having seizures is not normal. It's very scary, and as you know, there is no pain worse than the pain you feel when you see your child like that.
    Mrs.Harris138

Comment by Mrs.Harris138 (original poster) at 9:43 AM on May. 1, 2011