How old was ur child when u started them on sippy cups?

my mother thinks I should have already started my son on a sippy cup at 6 months! He is almost 8 months and he's barely holding his bottle up and I don't feel like he's ready for the sippy cup if he can't even hold up his bottle yet!

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 11:57 PM on Apr. 30, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wait till he can grasp the bottle. which in my experience is about 9 months. I get peeved watching a baby walk around toting a bottle, it's so not good for them. But I have learned the hard way if you push it too early, nothing is gonna happen. baby can hold it, so really there is nothing you can do to hurry it along.

BTW a smile and a "yes dear." or "yes ma'am" usually makes them think you will take there advice and they shut up. GL
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 12:18 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I started giving my son a sippy at 6 months with his meals. He didn't really do much but play with it, and take a drink if I put it to his mouth for him. I just wanted him to get used to seeing it and learn that formula/juice comes from it too. He's 8 months now, he's a little better, but I think he spills more than he actually drinks. It's all just practice for him.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 12:22 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Mine were about 10 months when I started, try the soft spouted ones first they are a lot easier then the hard ones to learn on. I made the mistake of trying the hard one first on my son because they were cheaper and it didn't work so well.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:23 AM on May. 1, 2011

• When he is ready, does not sound like he is if he cannot hold his bottle.
    genevieve55

Answer by genevieve55 at 2:00 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Wait till he can hold the bottle , you can introduce a sippy cup between 6 and over 12 months , I Introduced my first when she was 11 months , and i'll start my second when he's around 10 months (:
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 10:38 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I always started mine with sippy cups around 7-8 months. My 5th is now 10 months old and takes her sippy really well, so we'll have no problem with the transition to milk when she's a year old. The soft spout cups really aren't that much different from a bottle.

Answer by missanc at 11:51 AM on May. 1, 2011