Any advice on personal space?

My son's teacher told me that he will get really close to people when talking to them. And it's just talking in a normal conversation, not arguing about something or anything like that. At baseball, after a game, they have meetings and he'll run up and hug his baseball coach and he'll get really close to him when he's talking to the team. I asked him why he likes to touch people and get so close to them all the time, but he says he doesn't know. His teacher said this is something he needs to work on, but I don't know what to do about it.

trentsmom6503

Asked by trentsmom6503 at 12:10 AM on May. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has issues with personal space, too. There is a cute book called 'Personal Space Camp' that you could read to him to help. I had to write 'personal space' on my son's hand for a while to help remind him. He sees the school social worker, too, to learn how to be a good friend and social skills and such. But I think over time he will outgrow it, too.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:22 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Oh thanks so much! I'll check that book out. I just looked it up on Amazon!!!
    trentsmom6503

Comment by trentsmom6503 (original poster) at 12:26 AM on May. 1, 2011

• You are very welcome! The school social worker recommended it to me, and we borrowed it from the library.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 12:42 AM on May. 1, 2011