So a friend of mine told me to give my 8 month old a bottle of milk and lay him down , so my question is I have heard from other people they can choke or get ear aches if I did that. So does any moms have any advice about this because its hard to listen to things that may or may not be true.

christinahenry

Asked by christinahenry at 12:57 AM on May. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I have twins so sometimes I had no choice but to prop a bottle up for them before they were holding their own. My children have never had a problem with ear infections, but that doesn't mean it wont increase the chance of your baby getting one. it just depends on the kid. I personally dont find it that huge of a deal, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:02 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I'm not sure abut earaches or choking, but I do know that going to bed with a bottle of milk can rot out a baby's teeth (my DH and my brother both had that problem).

Forgive me for asking, but why is your friend telling you to do this?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 1:01 AM on May. 1, 2011

• i would just constantly check them to see if they are choking. that is very risky!
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 1:30 AM on May. 1, 2011

• If the milk is in his mouth and hasn't swallowed before he drifts off (it happens) it milk can spill into his ear from his mouth and cause an infection THAT way. If you are going to do it, stay nearby so you can remove the bottle as soon as he is asleep, you wouldn't want him to wake up and drink rotten milk.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 1:32 AM on May. 1, 2011

• It's a good way to rot their teeth. If you must put down with a bottle, only use water.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:53 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Yes, what you have heard can be true, and also, as another poster mentioned, it can cause tooth decay. Are you having trouble at bedtime with your LO, and looking for tips? Is that the reason you're wondering about putting a baby to bed with a bottle?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:11 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I've heard both of those but we've done it with all 5 of our kids and they've never had ear aches and have never once choked. My 9mo just had his bottle while lying on the floor. Once he's done he always tosses the bottle to the side then rolls over and goes to sleep. He usually doesn't get bottles in his crib, just when he's lying on the living room floor (although sometimes he does fall asleep after).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:17 PM on May. 1, 2011

• they say not to give milk while laying down
    duwana

Answer by duwana at 12:12 AM on May. 2, 2011