What is the best way or meds I can give my ADHD/ADD 12 year old son

We never had him on medication, yet is is now affecting his school work, he feels he does not need to do school work. always had problems with tantrums, disipline issues, and verbal outbursts. cant sit still, nor pay attention

michelle217

Asked by michelle217 at 1:04 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• see an add/adhd specialist. They can teach both of you coping skills and can medicate (if necessary) CORRECTLY.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 1:11 AM on May. 1, 2011

• We like vyvanse, it really helps. Our son is 11. We have tried others, but this one is the best for him. He may be able to get it from a regular doctor or neurologist. Good luck!!! It may take a few trials with different meds, they work differently with each child. Good luck!!!
    cutiepiesmama

Answer by cutiepiesmama at 1:12 AM on May. 1, 2011

• thank you , I will make an appointment with his doctor.
    michelle217

Comment by michelle217 (original poster) at 1:18 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I hate adhd Mede. My step daughter takes them, by a prescription happy doctor. It makes her act like a zombie, cry all the time, and she has lost way to much weight. Her mother has her on 20mg adderall daily and 5mg after school. I'm no rtryin to discourage the medicine, but hope you will see a specialist in ADHD and not an general doctor.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 3:55 PM on May. 1, 2011

• When my husband was that age, he was also unmedicated for ADHD. His mom made him bring a small notebook to school. Each of his teachers had to sign off that he had been well behaved. If he missed it for one teacher, then he was not allowed to have any friends over that weekend. As a result of his parents efforts, he has never been dependent on medication to control his behavior despite having ADHD.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 10:07 PM on May. 3, 2011

• MKSERS: IF you step daughter was properly medicated she would NOT have been a zombie.

OP: My sons pediatrician precribed and monitored his ADHD meds and did an amazing job. My son was NEVER a zombie and the meds helped a lot. It took some trial and error to find the right meds for him. What works for one child may not work for another. I have tried all types of options with my son's ADHD and the notebooks were a joke. ADHD kids don't respond the same as kids without it. They think differently. Sometimes, meds are what is needed. I also had my son in counseling to teach him ways to cope with his symptoms. Do what is best for your child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:57 PM on May. 4, 2011

• My daughter takes concerta, but she alsos sees a pychiatist someone who monitors her meds, she is also on zoloft . She is not like a zombie at all. I would suggest taking her to a psychiatirst, they monitor the meds so they can make adjustments for each kid, as they are all different!
    lovemamma

Answer by lovemamma at 12:33 PM on May. 5, 2011

• My husband does have ADHD. Just like the same medication does not work for children, the same goes for different ways of managing their behavior. He responded to it because it worked for him. Not all ADHD children are popped from the same mold. My husband spent 5 years on ritalin as a child and more recently is taking adderol.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:41 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Go to his doctor and ask for intuniv , It works great (: hope i helped ,
    des11987

Answer by des11987 at 7:24 PM on May. 6, 2011

• Yes, Intuniv is great. My son takes it with Vyvanse and it helps alot!!!! We added it when vyvanse was not enough. The adderoll was too strong for him, made him irritable. All are different !! We went through 6 different meds, its common, until we found the right fit. Dont be afraid to let dr know if something is off.
    cutiepiesmama

Answer by cutiepiesmama at 9:58 AM on May. 10, 2011