I feel odd asking...

My daughter is turning three in September. A little after turning one I noticed she would hump on her stuffed animals or blanket all the time. This would occur at anytime in any place public or not. I went with the distraction route which seemed to help a little. At this point Im noticing it only when I go to check on her before I head to bed she will be fast asleep on top of her hands or stuffed animal. So now it seems to be a bedtime thing only. How do I completely stop this or is it something she will grow out of?

breezybaby19

Asked by breezybaby19 at 1:15 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is very normal and natural at this age. Believe it or not, it's not really a "sex thing" for her at this age - it's a "oh, this feels good, I'm going to do it" sort of thing. It's sort of like sucking her thumb or playing with her hair or having a favorite snuggle toy or whatever - it's a feels good and provides a comfort / pleasure to her.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, because you don't want to start planting those "your body is dirty" or "this is a dirty thing" seeds, because that can cause problems and close lines of communication between you later when this sort of thing does start to become about sex.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:52 AM on May. 1, 2011

• cont

Just try to ignore it unless it's in public or around people, then tell her something like "Mommy knows that it feels good when you do that, but those are your privates, and if you're going to do that, you need to be in private when you do it." I would also use that time to reinforce / lay the groundwork for also saying something like "it's ok if you want to touch yourself there, but nobody else should be touching you there, or having you touch them there. If anybody ever does, you should tell mommy right away."

She'll stop eventually.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:53 AM on May. 1, 2011

• holy cow.....I have no advice. ISn't she a little young for that?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:18 AM on May. 1, 2011

• She will grow out of it, little boys do it a lot more. My cousin use to have a "hump cup" to take to bed every night. It's kinda like sucking their thump only they hump its non sexual just a calming method. No worries mama!
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 1:27 AM on May. 1, 2011

• It is normal... I know it can make you uncomfortable... the fact she is doing it less is already a sign she is growing out of it...
    AyamiLove

Answer by AyamiLove at 1:49 AM on May. 1, 2011

• yikes, i wish i could help you with that, but i have no idea. hopefully she can get out of this phase! will be reading to see other answers that are actually helpful! lol
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 1:18 AM on May. 1, 2011

• it's normal. natural. just teach her privacy.
    MumsTheWord571

Answer by MumsTheWord571 at 1:33 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Ask a Dr. I really don't think this is normal.
    xnegritalindax

Answer by xnegritalindax at 12:34 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Don't feel bad, it's normal and she Will grow out of it!!!
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 3:17 PM on May. 1, 2011