Anti- depressant pills safe to take while breastfeeding?

I have been prescribed sertralline antidepressant, but I stopped taking it when I found out I was pregnant. (Good thing, too, because now I see commercials on TV about getting compensation if your baby was born with birth defects) I still do not take it because I am breastfeeding. If it has questionable safety for unborn babies, does it have questionable safety for breastfeeding babies to have exposure through mother's milk?

bellejesse

Asked by bellejesse at 1:38 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I take 100mg Sertraline. It is not safe while taking in the 3ed trimester due to pphn. It is safe while breastfeeding. My baby is doing perfectly fine. If you need it, take it. The benefits outweigh the risks, which there usualy are none.
    amberpatterson

Answer by amberpatterson at 2:09 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Which medication? MOST are safe while nursing. Personally, I would not ask my doctor, because unfortunately, too many doctors simply don't know what meds are safe or not (most meds in general are safe) and drs will often tell you they're not safe, because they don't know, and they want to cover their asses. Best places to find out if a specific med is safe: Dr Hale (his book, Medications and Mothers Milk, or I believe he answers e mails via his website), the LactMed database, an IBCLC, a LLL leader. I have Dr Hale's book, so feel free to let me know the name of the med, if you are comfortable doing so.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:52 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I was taking generic Prozac for PPD after my second while breastfeeding didn't seem to affect her, after she started sleeping more through the night i would take it before bed so it was a few hours from when I took it until she nursed again.
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 1:45 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Congrats on baby, ask your doctor
    genevieve55

Answer by genevieve55 at 1:56 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I took Zoloft while breatfeeding. There are some anti-deps that are definitely a nono, like Effexor, but Zoloft and Prozac have been in studies where there was little to no trace of them in the milk, and no trace of it in the baby's blood.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 2:38 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Ask your doctor!
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 3:24 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Thanks!!! I'm new to posting questions on Cafe Mom, so I really apreciate the help. I definitely do talk to my doctor, but wanted a wider range of opinions, since I hear doctors can sometimes be quick to make prescriptions for unneeded or unsafe treatments. P.S. - one respondant wanted to know the name; it is in my question.
    bellejesse

Comment by bellejesse (original poster) at 3:47 PM on May. 4, 2011