Worried about my dd's health

Today my dad made comment that my dd who just turned 3 was,"Gaining weight." Her dr. has never made mention of it and she was just at the dr. about 3 months ago. She barely gained any weight from last year- she's even wearing most of last summer's clothes. Which online chart would be the most accurate to tell me if her weight is ok?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Kids' Health

• your dad is being rude. unless he is her pediatrician, don't listen. also online charts aren't going to help much, a child should always be weighed in the same place/scale to ensure accuracy. if you're freaked out then head into the clinic next week. they likely wont make you have an appt. scheduled for a height/weight check, then have the nurse graph her BMI for you.... that's the important #. they typically don't care about that much til closer to age 4..... but age 3 is almost still a toddler. they need fat! they change constantly, are active, and the brain/body are developing like crazy.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:28 AM on May. 1, 2011

• if you google 'childrens weight chart' you'll see several
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 8:11 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Sometimes fathers are like that, especially old fashioned ones. With me is wasn't my father so much but the grandfather would always make a comment about my son and my sisters daughter, neither of which are overweight by anymeans. When and if you see a problem I would ask your doctor and try to ignore the comments from your dad.
    lmv1970

Answer by lmv1970 at 8:39 AM on May. 1, 2011

• They tend to get chubby just before a growth spurt. Tell your dad to keep his negative comments to himself

Answer by rkoloms at 8:50 PM on May. 1, 2011

• according to the charts, my DD is overweight, yet she doesn't have any chub on her. Her pedi is not worried and neither am I.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 5:32 PM on May. 3, 2011

• I would be more apt to listen to my pediatrician rather then a father. I know he probably meant well enough, but it really doesnt hold any water on whether or not she is gaining weight. http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/growthcharts2/a/percentiles.htm this site might be helpful if youre worried. ?
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:41 PM on May. 4, 2011

• Just tell him pediatrician says she's fine, and don't worry.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 10:34 AM on May. 5, 2011

• I hate those charts. Just tell him thats rude and that shes fine.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:08 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Tell your dad to shut it. Kids get chubby before they grow.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 3:41 PM on May. 7, 2011

• your dad is being rude. unless he is her pediatrician, don't listen. also online charts aren't going to help much, a child should always be weighed in the same place/scale to ensure accuracy. if you're freaked out then head into the clinic next week. they likely wont make you have an appt. scheduled for a height/weight check, then have the nurse graph her BMI for you.... that's the important #. they typically don't care about that much til closer to age 4..... but age 3 is almost still a toddler. they need fat! they change constantly, are active, and the brain/body are developing like crazy
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:46 AM on May. 9, 2011