I'm in a real delima.....

my son said that his friend had been homeless for about a wk that his parents kicked him out and such asking if he could stay the night. well i said it was ok as i couldn't say no and then wonder where he is sleeping or if he is ok. although we're not in the position to really care for another mouth to fee. i mean we just got approved for food stamps. i know the states a parent can't kick their kid out but i needed to know more about what is going on. i held off contacting he parents trying to see if their is abuse here and how to tactfully turn this boy over without getting him or myself in trouble. so i figured come monday i would inform the school and let them contact the parent and handle it. anyway she contacted me tonight. of course i had to deal with the situation now. no problem. she came over discussed what issues he has or their issues. between a lot of screaming and yelling between the 2 of them i took the responsibility of this boy. i said it had to be a short term deal. now i'm starting to feel i took on too much. i'm 5 months pregnant, have two young girls, 19 yr old and 16 yr old son who is the bigger handful. problem is this boy said that he would run away. i laid ground rules and what he has to do in order to stay here......my question is did i do the right thing, what would you of done? i didn't want this boy hurt and homeless when i had a home to offer.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 2:21 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Did you feel he was being abused at home or just a hard headed teen?
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 2:26 AM on May. 1, 2011

• well, what did his mother say???? and just b/c he is friends w/ u'r son doesnt mean you let your guard down.... He's a teen and I damn sure wouldnt trust a new boy in my house around my girls. I'm not saying not to "help" but like u said... its another mouth to feed, and everyone needs to pull their own. helping clean up, dishes ,trash, rooms, dishes, etc. but keep an eye on things and watch for signs.... * I am cautious of boys.teens/and men crashing at the homes when you really dont know anything about them.
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 2:30 AM on May. 1, 2011

• He is more than likely just a runaway. I would talk to the police and make sure he isn't, because you could get into trouble for harboring a minor/runaway. Good luck though.
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 3:58 AM on May. 1, 2011

• You did the right thing, I took many teens who were kicked out of their house for being gay, and to this day after many years, they are still grateful.

Answer by older at 9:33 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Frist of all i am pround of you as a mother , you are a good heart free sprit person ,this boy is lucky to be friends with your son cause you were watching out for him & yes if i had a home to offer i too wouldv"e did the same but now you might have to go dhs & get the boy help ..His parents needs to be turned in & if he countions to live there with u then states will have help u with $ hey my sister-law & brother took in my neice who was 16 & raped & help raise the baby girl but they already had a teen-ager daughter so yea its alot to deal with but you are a real blessing great woulderful mom. wish we could be friends my e-mail adresss is Barbiedeeharris@yahoo.com iam a mother of two a 5 year old girl & 3 year old boy !! i too took care of some-one that i felt sorry for my nephew cause his mom turn him away as a 2 day old baby so he thinks of me as a mom i am still close to him he thanks me every-day for been there for him...
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 10:41 AM on May. 1, 2011

• You are kind hearted woman. Now, if you already set the rules that he must follow so that he continues to stay in your home. It's now up to him to be homeless or not. You are doing what's within your control and power to do, which has been more than enough. You shouldn't feel bad because you must think of your children as well. You are doing what you can and he must meet you half way to make it work and that means follow your rules. Best of luck.
    xnegritalindax

Answer by xnegritalindax at 12:32 PM on May. 1, 2011

• While you have done something big hearted, you have also opened yourself up for all sorts of legal issues if the parents decided to be the asses they seem to be.
    It would have been far better to have called social services on the parents.
    Anonymous

• I have done the same thing.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 10:28 PM on May. 2, 2011

• I think that you have a kind heart and are doing a good thing. I hope you are able to set the rules and this boy will stick to them and treat you with respect.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:48 PM on May. 4, 2011

• If you can't add one more to your care, turn him over to social services.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:55 PM on May. 5, 2011