How many of you had your son/sons circumcised?

Why or why not?

GomezMami2908

Asked by GomezMami2908 at 2:25 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• My son is intact.

Why = I thought he looked great. No cosmetic surgery necessary. And the dr said he was healthy and pee'd fine, no medical surgery necessary.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:43 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I am nauseous now.... wishing I hadn't just had late night ice cream with hubby.

OK....

mama2my: you shouldn't be concerned about your sons penis looking funky.... unless you're anticipating a future sexual relationship with him. If your daughter has funky boobs or an unattractive clitoris hood will that be fixed, too?

kathy: the USA is about a 50/50 mix now of cut and un cut boys. And they no longer DARE look at each others genitals for fear of being called gay. Also gym class in school is dwindling, and being nude in locker rooms is a thing of the past. Also if worrying about what kids will think of your child naked is on your mind, you might consider some therapy. You allowed your 2-3 day old infant to sucumb to peer pressure. Nice parenting

hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 2:50 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I *really* hate people talking about infections. Do you know more newborn boys get infected FROM circumcisions? Remember those 1st twenty diaper changes or so when you had to do gauze and vaseline on the open wound of his penis you had chopped off? trying to make sure no poop accidentally got up in there? more boys get infected THAT way. since they're 5 days old with no immune system and have just had a surgical procedure done on a part of their body that needs a diaper changing 7+ times a day

FACT. more baby boys get penile infections in the first 30 days of life are snipped, not intact.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I find a 17 y/o being circumcised much more humane. They're old enough to give consent, have it performed under sedation by a urologist (as opposed to no sedation and by a pediatrician or possibly an RN or even a less skilled person) old enough to communicate needs and have pain managed, more sanitary (No diaper, poop, etc) and be current on shots/vaccines and also in case of emergency, have a medical history on file with drug allergies.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:14 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I didn't have my boys circumcised...I was never a fan of chopping off parts of my children that are healthy.
    This whole cleaning issue is BS. Just like you train a child to care for their teeth, hair and nails you teach your male child proper cleaning of their penis. My sons were able to clean themselves by the time they were able to bathe themselves at around 3ish. Neither of them EVER had a UTI.

CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:28 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Audrice: it's horrible for a woman with breast cancer to lose her breasts..... but they don't remove them unless there's a verified cancer sighting. and that 17 year old boy should be having his foreskin removed to treat a valid medical issue. luckily they're very few and far between. the foreskin is a natural body part with too many functions to list. in the case of a true medical problem that cannot be resolved, I am sure the boy will be happy he's old enough to be sedated, have pain meds afterwards, and have a fully functioning penis afterwards. ... And of course he'd be horrified, it's his foreskin, it's a body part. It's as sensitive as a clitoris. Who would wanna lose that???? (not all those newborns you want to have attractive clean looking penis's) ... keep your body parts as long as you can! tonsils, breasts, appendix, gall bladder, foreskin, etc. don't remove them at birth.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:49 AM on May. 1, 2011

• cleaning/potty training and cleanliness in general issue: I support it as a valid concern. However that concern should last only a few days. Why? Because even the most brief and lazy amount of research would show you that a little boys penis is entirely 100% self cleaning. No work required. Well, warm soapy water just like his nose, toes, and hair. In fact, if you try and retract the foreskin and clean under it you can cause bleeding, infection, etc. It's self contained and self cleaning until it retracts.... almost never EVER during potty training time frame. Sometimes not til puberty. But usually around age 4-6 ish or so. You'd know that. If you'd done all this "research" .... seriously some of you sicken me. Why would you want your son(s) to "fit in"? Men do not stand nude in front of prospective mates hoping their genitals are appealing to them. We're not monkeys....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 5:07 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I did not have my son circumcised. I see no reason for a perfectly healthy newborn to have to undergo a surgical procedure to remove skin. Contrary to popular belief, you DO NOT need to, and SHOULD NOT EVER push the skin back to clean an intact baby. There is no extra work involved in caring for an intact baby, in fact, there is even less work involved, since you would need to care for the circumcision wound, and once it's healed, push back any remaining foreskin to prevent adhesions. If the child is healthy, there is no medical reason to circumcise, and it's not my body to be deciding to cosmetically alter. Should my son, as an adult, (or teen, I suppose) decide that he WANTS to be circumcised, I will support him in his decision, and will make sure he's done a proper amount of research before just coming to the decision to have cosmetic surgery.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:00 AM on May. 1, 2011

• My husband and I agreed upon it. We are Jewish. It is DH's obligation to have his sons circumcised.

If we weren't Jewish, I honestly don't know how I would feel about it. But we are and I really didn't know there was a "movement" to leave little boys intact until my cousins girl friend came over and told this extremely hormonal new mother that I was horrible person and irresponsible mother for having it done. Ironically, three years later when their son was born, who had her son circumcised? I just bit my tongue.

I think everyone needs to worry about their own child/ren and leave other's choice to others.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:06 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I did it. Cause I wanted to. Do I really need anouther reason? (also had this boyfriend once who at 17 had to get circumsized for medical reasons. Not my kid.)
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 3:07 AM on May. 1, 2011