Please help..... breastfeeding

I recently noticed that I have a sore on my nipple and noticed a little blood on my breast pad. I am breastfeeding and I believe the sore came from the fact I have forgotten to put on lanolin ointment and it cracked. My daughter is only 6 weeks old. Is it ok to continue breastfeeding her on that breast I do not want her to be harmed by any infection ect? If it is ok to continue breastfeeding what is ok to put on the sore that will not harm my baby? If it isnt ok to continue breastfeeding on that breast how do i continue to keep up the milk supply while that breast is healing? Really worried about it, any advice or suggestions would be sooooooo helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, I would take a deep breath. Sometimes your nipples will crack if you aren't getting a proper latch. Does it hurt when your daughter is sucking? I have never used any sort of ointment, because I am allergic. The best thing to put on the sore is actually breast milk, rub some on there and let it dry. It will heal a lot faster and is natural so you don't have to wash it off before baby eats again. As long as the sore doesn't look infected and is kept clean I don't see any problem with you continuing as long as it doesn't hurt you. If she ingests any blood at all it may come out in her diaper as a little streak which is normal as long as its not large amounts obviously. If it really hurts to nurse on the sore you could try pumping until it heals, or hand expressing if you don't own a pump. Good luck! You can pm me if you have more questions.
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 3:19 AM on May. 1, 2011

• continue to put lanolin while not breastfeeding, and its ok to keep breastfeeding, not a problem. i ahd the same problem with both my daughters. just make sure she's not just sucking the nipple. make sure u're expressing enough milk from the breast too so it doesnt get infected. be careful.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 3:28 AM on May. 1, 2011

• mamabaier is all over this question with some very sound advice. I agree with her completely.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 3:40 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I agree breastmilk is the best for healing cracked nipples take mamabaier's advice she knows what she's talking about I did the same things it's normal for breastfeeding.
    traren

Answer by traren at 4:33 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Yes, it is ok to continue nursing as usual. Use the lanolin. I recommend Motherlove Nipple Cream, if you can find it. Also, rub a little breast milk on your nipples, and let it air dry. Is nursing painful at all? There might be a latch problem, I would check with an IBCLC or LLL leader and have them check for proper latch.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:49 AM on May. 1, 2011

• It's fine and likely from her feeding, it happens to me in the beginning when were working on latching. Just put your normal breastfeeding cream on after a feed. When you go to latch her to that breast just check for a loose scab and pull it off if there is one.
    But relax it's fine and you can keep breastfeeding.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 8:53 AM on May. 1, 2011