Why Can't People Just Type The Whole Word?

I'm normally familiar with techspeak but, since I've been on CafeMom, I've been struggling with these abbreviations.

DD
DS
DH
and several others I can't think of.

I rarely use abbreviations when typing so I don't know what they mean. Can someone help me?

Razzle_Dazzle1

Asked by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:48 AM on May. 1, 2011 in About CafeMom

• cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:57 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Because people are lazy.

Actually it's more that when you are only allowed so many characters in an answer or reply, 2 characters as opposed to 7 in the case of "husband" and 8 for "daughter" might buy you another few words.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 3:57 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I think part of it may be just on-line slang. I don't have a problem with some of it. The only thing that drives me crazy is when people use "text" speak instead of proper spelling. I can understand using it when actually texting but even on cafemom mobile you can type it out. Smart phones are amazing nowadays.

Great link for "newbies" ... thanks for posting it!
    MarcellaFL

Answer by MarcellaFL at 4:10 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Because they are lazy

Answer by rkoloms at 8:19 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I think it is because they think it is "cute" and "trendy".
    Its really annoying.
    Then there is Text speak.Ugh.
    ANd the ones who spell DAT instead of THAT. Etc. Ugh ...ugh...ugh.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:54 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I do it because if I use abbreviations I can fit more into one answer box. It's really hard to answer some questions in a few sentences, especially those that are like an essay question. The links to tell you what these abbreviations mean has already been posted. Really, they aren't that hard to figure out and it's amazing what you can learn by utilizing google.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:46 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Those aren't CM specific, they're common net abbreviations, and people use them because 940 characters goes fast.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:09 AM on May. 1, 2011