Quiting breastfeeding cold turkey...

If i quit now, with no more feedings, how long b4 the pain and engorgement go away. I am not so concerned about still producing milk for a while, just the tightness and pain are unbearable.

sarahlu

Asked by sarahlu at 3:50 AM on May. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• It can take a couple of days. It's easier on your breasts to wean them off more slowly (though I know there are reasons that's not always possible). You can hand express in the shower or sink to relieve the pressure (not to totally drain them but to keep them from feeling like water balloons). You can also try cold cabbage leaves, just put them around your breasts.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:52 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Just a couple of days but your boobs are gonna get stretchmarks....
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:17 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I would say a few days to a week or so. You can use cold cabbage leaves in your bra to aid in the milk drying, motrin for any discomfort. Wear a supportive, well fitting bra. NOT a tight bra, and DO NOT bind your breasts, as this can lead to clogged ducts, and at times, mastitis, which you want to avoid. It's really best on your body, AND your baby, to do it gradually, but I don't know your situation, and why you need to wean so abruptly. If there really is no way you can continue to nurse, and wean gradually, you might consider pumping a couple of times a day, and gradually decreasing the amount of times you pump, just for your comfort. Please feel free to ask me any other questions you might have.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:56 AM on May. 1, 2011

• The extreme pain was about 1 day for me and sore for a few more days.--but I was only produces about 8 oz a day when I stopped.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:59 AM on May. 1, 2011

• If there is a reason you HAVE To stop cold turkey and can't wean the baby I would consider hand expressing a little bit few times a day and weaning your body off of that. It would be more time consuming but a heck of a lot less painful.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:21 PM on May. 1, 2011