Being induced because baby isnt thriving

im 37+3 weeks. im being induced on tuesday because my daughter has basically stopped growing and will grow better outside. the last measurements they took (2weeks ago) she was 4lbs 15ounces. so im guessing and hoping now shes closer to 5 1/2. anyways though ive heard induction with smaller babies doesnt always do well, causes stress and therefore can end in c section. ive been getting monitored every 2 days and she handles my constant bh contractions beautifully so im hoping that means shell handle the real thing as well. anyone else have stories of being induced with smaller babies? or know of any other good websites with stories? thank you!

xunlucxyx0

Asked by xunlucxyx0 at 5:21 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Pregnancy

• did they discuss doing an amnio to see if her lungs are ready?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:14 AM on May. 1, 2011

• At that age they should be able to measure her lungs on an ultrasound. avoid amnios like the plague. way too high risk
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 6:58 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I was told my son had IUGR (intra uterine growth restriction). They did many ultrasounds. The ultrasounds were wrong and he did not have IUGR. Those u/s measurments are not 100% accurate but I knew that when they were trying to tell me that my son had IUGR as well as a chromosomal problem. I was also pushed by doctors to deliver early. I refused. I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't be induced just giving you my experience. I knew (felt) that my son was fine and he was. I ended up going into labor 2 days before my original due date. Good luck!
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:37 AM on May. 1, 2011

• the risks of an amnio are less than 1%, fyi.

anyway my sister in law gave birth to my niece (not by induction though) a few weeks early and she was about 5 and a half pounds. she was able to go vaginally without any problems. things progressed fast for her though and there wasn't even time for an epidural. but all in all both her and my niece came out of it fine.

is this all going by an ultrasound measurement? i was told my middle daughter was 3 weeks smaller than she was and ended up having to give birth via c-section to a 10 pund baby. also keep in mind that in the last month, babies gain a pound a week. 3 more weeks in there would be 3 more pounds.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:08 AM on May. 1, 2011

• yes my sister had a 5ibl baby it be ok i pray for you & god will help keep u & baby stay healthy &safe
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 12:44 PM on May. 1, 2011

• good luck to you!
    mommie_of02

Answer by mommie_of02 at 1:16 PM on May. 1, 2011

• my aunts youngest was 3 lb 3 oz, she spent a month in the NICU and for a little while as she grew she had acid reflux real bad, but she is now turning 10 years old this Dec and she is thriving! she is one of the smartest kids in her clasS{not just bosting i swear} and plays sports with a passion, so dont fear sometimes our little ones come in to our world with fear but once they get here and passed all clinicals they do just fine:) i wish you the best of luck ,the doctors,and your little one. stay possitive through it and itll make a very big difference!
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 1:32 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I was induced with my first son for the same reason, he wasn't thriving in the womb and just stopped growing. They said I had Intra- Uterine Growth Restriction. When I got to the hospital to be induced I was already 2-3 cm dilated and about 50% effaced and was given pitocin. They had estimated my son's weight to be about 5 lbs 6 oz at an ultrasound only days before. Anyway, my labor went smoothly. I labored for a few hours and they broke my water at 1pm, when I was around 4 cm dilated. I continued to labor on the birth ball (with no drugs) up until I had the urge to push. Things went really well and my labor from beginning to end was only 8 hours. I pushed for about 30 minutes when the doctor discovered the baby's heart rate was dropping (I think I was holding my breath too much), so I had an episiotomy and he was out with the next push. He was only 4 lbs 14 oz and 18 inches long, but perfectly healthy!!
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 2:04 PM on May. 1, 2011

• thank you everyone! :)
    no im not having an amnio. but i did get steroid shots at 32 weeks (ive been high risk my whole pregnancy). i am dilated to a 2 and 70% effaced so i hope the fact that im at least making some progress itll make the labor and delivery less rough on her and hopefully relatively quick. i know they said they dont let moms with small babies labor too long because of the stress so im praying for a quick labor! and as for ultrasounds being off, i do understand that. but i fully trust my drs they have been wonderful and kept my daughter safe this whole time. they wouldnt recommend anything dangerous to me or my baby.
    xunlucxyx0

Comment by xunlucxyx0 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on May. 1, 2011