Is there comfort in your man having a female 'best friend'

Relationship taboos

Realtormom504

Asked by Realtormom504 at 4:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Relationships

• The positives I see is he obviously is respectful of women and is open to their thoughts & opinions.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 4:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If its a childhood friend, that's one thing... but it's important for you to really know who she is genuinely as a person. if you dont, dont trust it. period
    Bu77erfly

Answer by Bu77erfly at 5:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• One of my very best friends is a male and we've talked about what will happen if he ever starts dating again how it will affect our friendship and we're hoping it won't we both realize it would be hard for a woman to feel ok with it. Going in to a relationship she'd have to know how close we are, so she shouldn't expect him to give up our friendship but it would have to be modified so she doesn't think he'd rather talk to me than her but truthfully in most cases, whether it's male or female it's easier to talk to a friend about things than it is to a s/o so I don't know how it would go. The bright side is that he has constant female input on situations so he'd have a better idea of how we think, the down side is that there's a good chance he's talking to her about any problems he has (including you and sex life) from venting to full blown conversations about everything that he may not be comfortable talking to you about.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 5:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would not appreciate it. I don't think that makes me a bad or jealous person. I simply would not like the feeling of knowing another female is the person my husband goes to rather than me. No worries here though, because my husband has plenty of friends male & female - but I am his best friend, so that makes me feel great.
    nichvegas-mommy

Answer by nichvegas-mommy at 8:34 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have no issues with my husband having female friends, but I should be and am, his best friend!
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 9:46 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have a best friend that is a man and my husband doesnt seem to mind. if his was a girl i wouldnt mind either we trust eachother enought
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 9:52 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My man and I are each others best friends, but besides us we do have other best friends outside our relationship that are of the opposite sex. We trust each other fully and our best freins know what the boundaries are. As long as boundaries are set and known it usually goes a lot smoother. Oh and our BFF's (lol) are single and one is getting a divorce, so it is possible to have a BFF of the opposite sex that isn't in it to get into the pnats of the friends who is taken.
    Geminus

Answer by Geminus at 11:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• My husband had a really close single girl-friend in law school. I always felt good about their relationship because she was so down to earth and so welcoming to me. She became my friend too. I could just tell that there was no romantic chemistry between them.

I think it helps that he was really open to me about any questions I had about them or their past. Now she lives in Chicago and I miss her more than he does!! lol

It could be weird though if your DH finds some new bff that's a girl out of the blue. Could turn into emotional cheating!
    oceanlover84

Answer by oceanlover84 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• if my guy had a female friend of any kind he'd be doing her so no, there's no comfort there. He's a horn dog. Some days I want to buy a leash for him but we're not married so I have to just let him run and know he'll come home when he gets hungry!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Alot of the women say that they're their husband's best friend.... I'm kinda laughing here because my husband was my best friend, and he's still one of my best friends but there's a lot of things I can't talk to him about that I can with my other best friend/s. Can't go griping to him because my husband was a jerk this morning, or how he's acting like an idiot lately, can't ask him what he thinks about how strange my hubby is acting and wondering if he might be thinking of having an affair or if he's doing a lot of things and dang sure can't ask him to help me spy on my hubby (that was for ha ha's). But marriage should all be made with someone you can be friends with even when you're mad at them.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2008