Married, living together, single.....

I am married and always have been (since 19). So I was wondering how everyone else does it. What is your relationship status and how do you make it work if you aren't married?

Not trying to start a fight, just curious.

Audrice1985

Asked by Audrice1985 at 6:02 AM on May. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• I'm married, on 7th year. my parents are married on their 30th year and my in laws have been married 28 years.

I think us coming from solid homes helps..... a lot. we've seen our parents in bad times (hell, HORRIBLE TIMES!) but they never quit.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:11 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I'm 21 years married and we have 6 kids, all ours. I believe it takes two parents - and ideally grandparents as well - to raise a child or children, and broken homes are really bad news for kids. I think gay and lesbians should be able to have kids as long as they are in a COMMITTED relationship. I don't know what people are thinking bringing children into their lives without a really committed relationship/marriage of some sort.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 6:47 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Married
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:52 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Kinda how I have always felt to, judimary.
    Audrice1985

Comment by Audrice1985 (original poster) at 6:52 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Married for 11 years, together for 12. Our kids are our kids.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:12 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I've been with my df for almost 5 years, engaged for 4 1/2 yrs and we have 3 kids together, and no other kids with anyone else. It doesnt matter if we are married or not our relationship has the same troubles and joys that a married one would we just dont have a piece of paper and the same last name. Marriage isnt all that important to me, its just a piece of paper seems how we have all the values and rights of a married couple.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:13 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I'm Married and WE have 3 children. I also got married at 19 and my husband was 18. We have been dating since we were Juniors in high school. So we have been together for almost 9 years and happily married for a little over 6 years. My parents have been married for 37 years =)
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 7:16 AM on May. 1, 2011

• oh and believe it or not you can be fully 110% committed to someone else without being married! And you can also not quit the relationship and work on it without being married, its the person that makes it happen not a piece of paper
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 7:16 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I am married with 4 kids but I was a single mother for 10 years with one child. Of course I believe two parents are better than one and I wish it were so for my son. But his father left me so I had no choice. My parents were very helpful and my dad was a better dad to my son than to me. My son is now 13 with straight A's, a good kid, and very athletically involved. You would never know he came from a single mother.
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 7:50 AM on May. 1, 2011

• My Dd's father and I are divorced. It was in all of our best interests. He and I are both type A personalities. We fought a lot and it had gotten to the point that we couldn't even have a civil conversation without DD trying to break us up at 2 years old. Keep in mind that we never fought in front of her but she could tell.

We get along much better now and he is VERY active in her life. He is a great father...wasn't sure that he would be after the divorce but he has really stepped up.

I am living with my SO now. Moved in in December. We have been friends for 15 years. The day that I started moving in, he proposed. Said he wanted to make me honest since I had to go to court to move (state line custody issue) and in the papers it stated that I was moving into my fiancees house. We are getting married June 11. I wouldn't move my DD unless I was sure about it and they didn't meet until we had been together awhile.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:03 AM on May. 1, 2011