Alitte confused

So my church is having the kids sing today. Theve been working on this for 3 months. They are only singing two songs. I asked my dd whos 6 if she even knows what she singing and what it means and she said no. So i asked her did they try to tell you what the song means and she said no the only learn the words and movements. It bothers me that shes singing something she doesnt even understand or get what it means. I almost feel like not letting her sing but shes so happy i am but it doesnt sit well now im going over what the songs mean which i only know the songs because shes singing them 24/7. This is my problem if your going to teach my kids songs/ bible verses i want her to understand and get the meaning, like when i teach her songs/ bible versus. I understand the church isnt the only way your child should learn but when you teaching my dd something i want her to get it. What do you think?

whitenena

Asked by whitenena at 7:17 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would speak with the people at your church - like the choir director, youth pastor or other relevant ministers and express your concerns. You have a valid point and it should be heard. On the flip side, if you are uncomfortable with how they approach things, you can always find another church or leave completely. The choice is yours.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 7:50 AM on May. 1, 2011

• This sounds like a great opportunity for you to teach your daughter, or learn together! There are wonderful resources in libraries and on the internet

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I can see both sides of this, as a mom, I agree with you, but as a person who has spent a lot of time working with little kids at church, I can tell you that a lot of times, the adults do explain and try to talk to the kids about what it means, however, with so many kids, and with their attention spans being what they are, it takes a lot of repetition for it to "sink in", and a lot of times they say they weren't told, but in reality, it went in one ear and out the other, because the song / movements / game / craft is what their child mind focused on and decided was the most important.

For example, I can't tell you how many times that I've ran a class where we did a verse, talked about it, read a story on it, did it again with snack, did a craft and a game around the "point" of the verse, and had their parents come in and hear them tell them "we colored" What did you learn - "how to hop on one foot" (or something similar...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:29 AM on May. 1, 2011

• cont

I would talk to them and ask about the lessons that go along with the song, and ask if they have any suggestions on how you can help to reinforce the meaning and message behind the songs and hand movements. Either you'll find that they are trying to teach more than just the words, and together you can come up with something that will help it "sink in" more with your little one, OR - you'll find out that they aren't going beyond the surface, but your question will hopefully be able to point out what's missing (like - the point of it all!) - and they can work on changing that.

Good luck - I hope your dd has a great time singing, and that she's able to get a good idea of what it's all about - making it even more special :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:33 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I believe you are totally right. They should explain what it means. Maybe talk to the teaching or the administration.
    xnegritalindax

Answer by xnegritalindax at 12:24 PM on May. 1, 2011

• @ sailorwifenmom thank you i really never thought of that. I will be talking to the children's church though just to make sure that they tried. I explained it to my dd one time and she got it so im hoping its just that the kids were distracted. I just want to make sure thats shes getting more than the visable and basics from church and understanding it to her age level which she surprises me sometimes with what she does say but i do my best to make sure she gets it. We do plays at home of bible stories i try to teach her in ways that catch her attention.

whitenena

Comment by whitenena (original poster) at 9:02 PM on May. 1, 2011

• sailorwifenmom said it perfectly! Kudos!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:14 AM on May. 2, 2011