What a mess!

My girl was at a after school even where they watched a movie and had ice cream and while playing on the playground a boy hurled her back pack at a pole and shattered her ipod screen. She has 4 witnesses and I called the parents of the boy and they say "oh, no our boy wouldn't do that" and his Dad even said well, we have witnesses that he didn't do it and the boys were with him. Well, the phone was on speaker and my dd's friend and her told him that the one boy was playing basketball and the other was riding his bike around so they weren't there at the time anyway. We are having them go to the principal tomorrow and talk with their homeroom teacher because she was outside and can attest to the boy playing basketball and the other riding his bike. We could go to our pastor too as he is in my daughter's Sunday school class and Wednesday evening church group. We think the boy's parents should pay for a ipod replacement. No one should put their hands on someones property, and esp. throw it into a pole. The boy wasn't mad just being weird! Is there anything you would do or not do if you were in this kind of situation and the parents are in denial??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Well you have to options. You could go to the police and see if they can help or you can go to civil court and sue the parents.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 7:28 AM on May. 1, 2011

• That right there is why my kids aren't allowed to take their electronics to school. DId you not have a warranty? I guess i see where you are coming from, But if she hadnt had it at school in the first place ( most schools ban having them anyways) it wouldnt of gotten broke. I hope they at least offer to pay for half, I would ( and do!!) if my kids break other kids stuff. But int he end most parents have that "my sweet child would never do that", its BS. Good luck!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:31 AM on May. 1, 2011

• All you can do is go to the principal and her parents. If they don't offer to buy another, then you have to. You can't force them to pay. It sucks, but it sounds like you are out the money.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:54 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I really don't think there is anything you can do. It will be very hard to prove he broke her I POd. The principal will probably tell you she shouldn't have taken the IPOD to school.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 8:15 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I would NOT give a child such an expensive toy to be taking to school. Kid's are irresponsible. Expect things to be broken when you give them to a child.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:48 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Going to the police wont do much other then maybe get him for destruction of property. You can file in small claims court to get it fixed, but honestly filing would probably cost more than a new ipod itself, let alone fixing it. I would talk to the parents, see about the boy being punished at school or through after school, and then replace the ipod. Lesson learned.

Answer by gemgem at 9:55 AM on May. 1, 2011

• without acutal proof-like on camera or something...and having it show the item shattering or breaking- I think you're out of luck on this one. Even if it showed him throwing the backpack...there is no acutal proof that the ipod was IN it when it happened- or at least that is probably what they will tell you

sorry- that sucks
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:56 AM on May. 1, 2011

• i would tell parents that eathier their son pays for IPOD or they pay for it tell the school who ever in charge you waunt some-thing done to boy or you will take the boys parents to court so on
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 10:25 AM on May. 1, 2011

• You can try, but it honestly won't be worth the hassle. HER friends are the witnesses. You cannot prove 100% that the ipod was in backpack in the first place and that she isn't lying to you for dropping it herself and breaking it.

This is exactly why my children are not allowed to have their expensive electronics at school.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:36 PM on May. 1, 2011

• It's hard to prove that he broke it. It was in her back pack, it could have been broken before hand and she could just be saying he broke it. Not that that is what happened but it could be argued that way. Also, the argument could be...why did she even have that at school? Some things should only be left at home. If you take it our of the home you risk damage to it and that's on you. He couldn't have known she had something breakable in her bag which doesn't mean it's okay that he threw it because it's NOT okay but, it WAS an accident that he broke it.
    tracylynnr31767

Answer by tracylynnr31767 at 4:17 PM on May. 1, 2011