Was Jesus a cult leader and not the 'messiah'?

Matt 28:18-20 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power(authority) is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

It should be noted that Jesus makes quite a claim here. Jesus claims, like all cult leaders do, that special "all power" has been given to him exclusively. In other words, whatever the cult leader commands, the follower should do because the highest level of authority resides in the cult leader. And of course, the follower wants to please his Master and will go out and attempt to coerce others to also obey the commands of their Master. As the cult evolves, Jesus the man becomes Jesus the God and his followers can go out and conquer the world for him knowing that they are doing their duty as good and faithful servants of their Master.

The disturbing cult leader characteristics of Jesus don't stop with this one example...

Read full article here: http://agnosticreview.com/cultleader.htm

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:26 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I believe he was, but since all religions are cults--or start out as such depending the definition, more specifically I don't believe that Jesus ever claimed to be God and never intended to start a new religion. It was just intended to be a sect of Judaism. I also do not believe he met the requirements I've seen listed for Messiah either. I have also read about some scholars who believe that the sayings of Jesus really come from a couple different teachers or philosophers of the time, and I believe if this is true it would explain some of the discrepancies in the styles of the sayings and message. As I approach the NT in the same way that I approach any sacred text, it's not a particular concern for me whether Jesus existed as a single teacher. I question everything, and only live it if I accept it as true and to the benefit of all. So, I follow many of Jesus' sayings as a non-Christian, but not all of them.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 9:22 AM on May. 2, 2011

• What separate Jesus from other religious leaders is that he was truly the Son of God. He fulfilled all the prophecies spoken of the Messiah in the Old Testament and he rose from the dead. No other religious leader did that.
    tel4him

Answer by tel4him at 7:50 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Probably one of the most ill thought out articles I have read -
    This was not written by an agnostic- it was written by an anti-Christian bigot-
    Take the same type of article and apply it to Islam or any other path and people would agree that its bigoted but since its written about Jesus- the vote downs will begin in 5, 4, 3, 2, .....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:29 AM on May. 1, 2011

• "Was Jesus just a more successful David Koresh"

That is a bold exaggeration. David Koresh was a fucked up individual who was raping & molesting young women & girls & when he was called out, he killed himself & everyone else in the compound. Jesus instead gave HIS OWN life...that is one account that people cannot argue. The two are extremely different, if you do any reading at all.....you would know that. Regardless, Jesus made the ultimate sacrifice...himself....and this is coming from a non-christian...just someone who knows religion...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:03 AM on May. 1, 2011

• OP...Mary was a direct descendant of King David.

Also, Jesus' step-father, was a biological descendant of Solomon. Now technically, people say that he cannot be related because Mary was a virgin...

But, Mary was a direct descendant of King David & Joseph was a direct descendant of Solomon...so...it kind of works out IMO...even if Mary was a virgin, Joseph was still his father...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:44 AM on May. 1, 2011

• A funny story to illustrates how the New Testament writers “created” Jesus’ fulfilled prophecies.

Well, then of course it must be fact- if you can find a story like that on-line what more proof does one need that the NT is a myth- thank goodness for google- solves all the mysteries of life for us-

soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:56 PM on May. 1, 2011

• For non believers they will believe he was a cult leader. For believers, we know he was not. A cult leader does not usually last the length Jesus and his words have. He would have faded to nothing along with his teachings by now.

Answer by gemgem at 8:27 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Oh - and this whole using the God language in this way wasn't unfamiliar with Jews - there were several prophets : Moses, Elijah, etc - who were also spoken about through this illustrative language, where it was said they could do miraculous things. I think the same applies there - that it was merely the people's way of being able to explain the way they were able to see the connection of those prophets to the Divine, and to emphasize the God presence (that God could be understood and experienced in them) that people felt through them. So it makes sense that they would have described Jesus in this way as well.... Doesn't mean that they intended it to be taken literally - it was their way of explaining who they thought Jesus was, rather than what he was actually, literally *doing*...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:41 AM on May. 1, 2011

• As has been stated by my sisters in Christ so eloquently, Jesus WAS, IS, and ALWAYS WILL BE the Messiah. What separated Him from cult leaders, is He is in fact the Son of God, He can walk the walk to back up the talk. But, as I've said before, to a believer, no evidence is necessary, to a non-believer, no evidence will suffice.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:40 PM on May. 1, 2011

• http://www.eons.com/blogs/entry/1332824-How-Many-Bible-prophecies-Did-Jesus-Fulfill-

This Proves beyond a doubt Jesus Is The Messiah, praise His Holy Name!!!

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 12:42 PM on May. 1, 2011