Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Deadbeat Dad...?

I am currently 32 weeks pregnant, and the father of the baby has denied even being the father. Should I terminate his rights?

Answer Question

Asked by 1sttimemom512 at 5:00 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in General Parenting

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • You need to work out what's best for your child and to start with that means what's best for you.

    Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 5:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • In my personal opinion, I think a parent should be given every opportunity to be a part of their child's life. You're still pregnant, and he might change how he feels after the baby is here. If oyu have to, get a test to prove he is the father. If he still feels the same after that, then, yeah, I would ask him to sign over his rights. Unfortunately, you can't just terminate his rights unless he's done something wrong.

    Answer by mamapotter at 6:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • Bring him to family court.
    To determine things like paternity,visits,child support.
    Even if you want him to not be involved(termination) you need to go through the courts and than prove why and if they approve it great if not than file for custody and so on.
    Also,you may make him upset by not giving him the chances,which keep a record or what you try and when and the outcome.
    If you do not trsut him seek supervised vistis by the courts or get a guardian ad litem.
    Which by doing so will not refelct bad on you but your thinking about the child best interests.
    Since he could get more rights to the child than maybe what your wanting.
    Also,you need to consider why he thinks the child is not his since they maybe two sides to the story so get things in order by the courts so your doing what is best for the childs long term welfare and not yours only.
    Remember the child has a right to two parents.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • In some states, the courts won't allow a father's rights to be terminated, or allow him to do it, unless there is someone else willing to adopt the child, or the father has done something very horrendous, and usually to the child. So it may not even be an option. With that said, I would not look to that as the first choice, b/c that deprives your child of the father that he/she really has the right to know and have in his/her life, even if you don't like him. My first step, in your shoes, would be to establish paternity to shut him up about that, and then to gain custody and get child support. It's up to him to use visitation rights or not, and if he chooses not to use them, then at least your child can't blame you for the fact that they don't know their dad. You can honestly say that you never stood in the way of dad having a relationship with the child.

    Answer by tropicalmama at 7:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • In most states you can't just "terminate his rights," he has to give them up. When you file for child support they will give him the option to get a DNA test.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 8:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • You (i think) have to have the baby my state (Georgia) the father can have his rights terminated if he has not supported the child in any way for a year or more..I terminated my sperm donors rights about 7 years ago!! Best thing i ever did for me and her!

    Answer by sydsmom2 at 10:27 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • After re-reading your issue..I think you need to give him a chance first then go from there..Alot of "boys" are quick to say..THATS NOT MINE" he may just still be mad and unready to be a father..but if he turns out to be a piece of sh*t..then definately terminate him forever!

    Answer by sydsmom2 at 10:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

  • no get a paternity test and make him pay his share.. he cant just opt out like that.. he had sex too...

    Answer by AmaliaD at 11:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.