What to do about Extreme Whining? It's over the top!

My 3 yr old has been taking whining to a new level. I know kids whine, but she's way over the top with it. Her siblings (she has 4) went though a brief stage of it around that age, but she seems to be trying to make a career of it.

Ignoring it and refusing to give her things unless she uses her "nice voice" isn't working. She just continues on. It's gotten to the point now that every time she speaks she whines. She also has a temperament and is a bit sprited. She is having fits daily when she doesn't get exactly as she wants. We're not giving it, we couldn't anyway, with 7 people in the house that wouldn't work.

I'm thinking I may have to now issue consequences for the constant whining, complaining and fits. Ignoring it isn't working and neither is talking to her and not giving it. She just keeps going.

Would it be a bad idea to just keep putting her in time out, even if she ended up there 50 times a day? Do you think she'd get it? Does anyone have any suggestions for a extreme whiner?

She's been doing it for months now and the whole family is over it. Even my 6 yr old is complaining.

Thanx

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I send mine to her room. She can whine all she wants but i do NOT have to hear it. At 3 she is old enough to know better. Time outs can be used and I have used them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:44 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Put her in her room until she stops whining. Tell her nobody wants to hear it anymore and until she can talk without whining she will be alone in her room. Don't know if it works but at least you won't hear her.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:45 AM on May. 1, 2011

• At first I thought you were talking about most of the women who post in the Politics and current events section.......!

But,when my kids whined,I used to make pouty faces at them and cheer them up and distract them so they would forget why they were whining.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:52 AM on May. 1, 2011

• my 2 year old is the same way. yesterday she whined at my feet for half an hour because i had her 1 year old sister in my lap and she wanted to sit in it to. i explained it was Taylor's turn and she could have her turn soon. well, that wasn't good enough for her so she whined. and whined, and whined, and... whined. i thought eventually she'd let it go but she didn't. so, being the horrible mom i am, i gave in and put her on my lap. it was either that or go out back and shoot myself. there is only so much whining i can take before i start to lose it! don't have much advice but you're not alone. here's a bump.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:23 AM on May. 1, 2011

• The only advise I can give you is time-outs..... As long as you keep at it and don't give in, she will get the point..... Eventually.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 8:33 PM on May. 1, 2011

• This is what I did when my kids were little. It sounds mean but I would say, "I'm gonna call the waaaaambulance." After awhile they got the point that they looked and sounded rediculous. I would say that the whole time they were whining. They would get mad and it stopped especially if they were around her friends.
    shannon979

Answer by shannon979 at 11:46 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My son is a HUGE Whiner also and we are DONE... we put him instantly in his room, no more chances.. it seems to be working more than any thing else we've tried. taking toys and privilages away also
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:18 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Lol! This question is almost word for word like a mom's I just answered on Askananny.com she had gone through all the normal ways to deal with whining too!
    Take a look at my suggestions, hopefully they help!
    http://www.askananny.com/Ask_A_Nanny/Q_%26_A/Q_%26_A.html
    Good Luck!
    Stef (the nanny from askananny.com)
    AskANanny

Answer by AskANanny at 1:31 PM on Jun. 21, 2011