Ok so my mom got bit by a crane !

ok so my Mom has ducks and they were attacking this crane ok so (she's 65) and in the prossess of trying to rescue this crane from her ducks she fell in the lake then got up and tried to catch the crane and it bit her ok this was thursday she finally went to the ER last night and has a bacterial infection in her hand now seriously me and who knows how many others in the family have told her go to the dr thursday or friday now she has to go to a orthopedic to see if the infection has got to the bone how many ppl do you know that have been bit by a crane and how many ducks do you know that try to kill cranes ?

msh88

Asked by msh88 at 9:41 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Pets

• Not too many.......odd event...but she meant well......

Answer by older at 9:48 AM on May. 1, 2011

• LOL. I have to laugh because that could be my aunt's story. The woman always tries to rescue animals and has some find on her hands (my uncle calls these animals she comes up with "scores" for her...like a crackhead "scores" crack). She has kept this giant overgrown goose for YEARS in the fenced in part of her yard, and it attacks her and everyone else every time they have to cross between the gate and the front door. Sigh...it is what it is.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:03 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I can't say I know any ducks or anyone who has been attacked by a crane. :-) Any bird will defend its' nesting zone but in our area, we learn to duck when cranes attack. I couldn't resist. I am tired and need sleep so I am a bit ......... anyway, I hope your mom gets good results. Wierd things happen. If all is well before mothers day it would be funny to make her a basket ( For the next time she falls in the lake while on a rescue mission) survival book, a stuffed bird, antibiotic ointment, 1st aide book, CD of birds chirping, bird book, arm floaties, and some survival gear- or whtever. You could also make her a bird hat, Get a plain straw hat and little birds with wires below their feet ( craft store) and decorate the hat with birds. :-) We tend to keep holidays full of humor and practical jokes... I truely hope the infection clears up fast and did not get into the bone. Good Luck...
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 11:44 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I use to work in wildlife rehab and have a lot of experience with the birds...good thing she wasn't rescuing a seagull because they can slice your fingers right off.

So, this is why we call it wild life...WILD. These animals are really not meant to be handled, even for a good deed like this rescue. Birds carry a lot of nasty diseases, another reason to be cautious with the handling of wild birds.

I hope she is able to fight that infection and her hand will be okay.

And no, I do not know anyone else who has been bitten by a crane. I love cranes though, they are really awkward and beautiful at the same time!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 3:03 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Just out of curiosity, why couldn't the crane "escape" from the ducks? It would seem to have a good size advantage.
    Whimsee

Answer by Whimsee at 9:12 PM on May. 2, 2011