Is it wrong to ask Jesus into your "heart"???

I'm wrestling with this since I found this in God's Holy Word.....Jeremiah, "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?'" Matthew 15:19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

So, according to His Word it would seem we have been led astray when we were told to, "ask Christ into our hearts, as our Father Hates all the things that are there!!!

turtldov

Asked by turtldov at 10:08 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Find the little book called, My Heart, Christ's Home and read it . It is an old sermon, nad well loved. It is an amazing story of how Jesus moves into a "Home" (us) and how He goes from room to room and what he finds there and what he does in each room.

In answer to your question, yes, the heart is wicked and deceitful-which means that when left to my own devices, I will tend towards selfish ness and rationalizations, so yes, Jesus movesin to clean it all up and to lend True North to my compass, because when I am on my own, my compass needle spins with no truth to guide it.

Also, sharing Christ is never wrong, The Holy Spirit is able to work with all things......
    ferrellmt

Answer by ferrellmt at 10:44 AM on May. 1, 2011

• No... That's why we should ask Jesus into our hearts. So, that he can clean it out and then he can be the guide of our hearts. When we allow God into a part of our lives no evil can remain. That's why we have to give him our entire lives.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 10:20 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Jesus would ABSOLUTELY come into a sinful heart! That's the whole point of why Jesus was born and was crucified - so that He took the blame for those sins. He sees them, and knows them - even better than we, the ones committing the sins - even can see and know them. And He loves us anyway! He's just waiting for us to come to Him and say that we know we're sinners, and we're sorry for that, and we would like His forgiveness.

Look at it this way - if, say, as a parent, your child did something that they weren't supposed to do, say, they played ball in the living room and broke something. You know they did wrong, but does that mean you don't love them anymore? Of course not! And aren't you ready to forgive, especially if they are remorseful? If we, as imperfect humans, can love like that, just think of how much more He, with His infinite love, loves us...!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:32 AM on May. 1, 2011

• You're right, it is deceitful, when it's left to it's own devices. But, when we ask Jesus into it, then it's saying that we're inviting Him in to be a part of our daily lives and our innermost thoughts - not to be a part of that sin, but to take it away, and to be there to help shield us from the sinful, deceitful natures that are there.

He is our Lord, and we should accept Him as such, but look at the relationship He had with His disciples - He didn't live apart / above them as a Lord would, He lived among them, sharing in their daily lives - which is what He wants to do with us :-)

As scriptures say (and I apologize, it's late where I live and I'm having trouble recalling the exact scripture references), but as we are told, Jesus loves the church as a bridegroom loves his bride. We, His followers - are the church. That says that He wants to live and reside intimately with us (inside our hearts). :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:56 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I can understand your reasoning. Instead say you ask christ into your life, to guide you????
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:10 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Thank you for answering, SabrenaLeigh....So, are you saying that you agree? If it is wrong, then have I led other's astray when I led them in the "sinner's prayer" if I told them to ask Jesus into their hearts?????
    turtldov

Comment by turtldov (original poster) at 10:20 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I was selfish and angry this morning. My heart and mind acted out at my dh. After he left, I felt wrong. I shouldn't have said the things I said. I picked up the phone to call him. The phone rang in my hand. It was my husband. We apologized to each other. I am glad that we did. My day was almost ruined! Later I thanked God for my blessings.. I know that my heart could be mean and spiteful. I need God to guide me. Just thought I would share that.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 10:26 AM on May. 1, 2011

• The Word says that God hates sin & He can have no part in it, so would Jesus come into a sinful heart???
    turtldov

Comment by turtldov (original poster) at 10:27 AM on May. 1, 2011

• No, you aren't wrong - both things (asking the Lord into our hearts, and the scriptures you quoted) are talking in a figurative way - after all, we know that actually, our heart is simply an organ that beats and pumps blood through our body, it doesn't actually have any feelings or thoughts or etc...

Basically, the one hand (the scriptures) are saying that basically humans by nature are evil and sinful, and have wicked urges. On the other hand, we can ask Jesus into our "hearts" to forgive those evil and sinful natures, and to help us to deal with them in a way that, while not always perfect (we are human and not infallible, after all...), but to try to live our lives in a way that is pleasing to God.

Hope this helps :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:28 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Thank you, Buttercup, the last question I asked was for you, but anyone may answer.......it's so confusing!
    turtldov

Comment by turtldov (original poster) at 10:30 AM on May. 1, 2011