Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I get child support?

My kids dad is in prison as some of you may know why. He is going to be in there my kids whole teenage life pretty much. I am on low income as it is cus I'm a single parent who needs to be there for my kids and work, but is there any way I can get some money assistance to help me? The state office won't give you money if you have a job, but what do us moms do in this situation. I want to get my kids braces for their teeth but how the heck do I do that?

Answer Question

Asked by shannon979 at 10:27 AM on May. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 9 (364 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • if you fall into a certain income bracket, you can apply for foodstamps, medicaid, cash assistance, and so on. to get child support contact your local child support enforcement, although i don't know how successful that would be considering he's in prison. good luck to you.

    Answer by tnm786 at 10:28 AM on May. 1, 2011

  • File for medicaid. Don't know much more help on the financial front. Good luck.

    Answer by EgoTryptophan at 10:29 AM on May. 1, 2011

  • Well, he would own you back child support when ever he got out and got a job... for now you apply for any kind of assistance that is available. Most if not all states have a low income form of medicaid for children under 18. Also look into community based programs such as food pantries, local camps with scholarships, local programs for energy assistance(such as Salvation Army)... There are lots of things out there you just really have to dig around to find it.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 10:32 AM on May. 1, 2011

  • Sometimes medicaid does not cover braces you will have to check into it. My cousin couldn't get qualified for braces because medicaid said it was for cosmetic purposes and not a medical emergency. good luck.

    Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:44 AM on May. 1, 2011


    She doesnt want to know what programs there is

    Answer by Augusta at 12:18 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • How to file? HIRE A FAMILY LAWYER!

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:48 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • Thank you girls.

    Comment by shannon979 (original poster) at 11:10 PM on May. 1, 2011

  • call social services and see what programs you qualify for

    Answer by duwana at 12:08 AM on May. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.