Cat Fights? With real cats...not women LOL

So my LP brought home a cat that he had been keeping at his apartment out of state when he was there for work. He is now done with the job and said the cat would either have to be put down or come home with him. So, not wanting to be evil, I said for him to bring the cat.

I knew that my older cat would react poorly to him, because he reacts poorly to all new animals. He will growl and hiss, but typically just does it from a corner for a few days until he gets used to the idea that another animal is here. (as in, his bark is worse than his bite...he just acts pissy...never does anything).

Well...last night, the cat comes in...my "kitten" (now 2) has ZERO reaction to the new cat, even though the new cat is growling. He doesn't even look interested. Honestly, I don't think the young cat is "all there". My old cat, however, comes in with the attitude I expected and WENT AFTER the new cat terribly...and when the young one saw that, he went nuts on everybody too. This has gone on ALL NIGHT LONG. Egh!!!

I feel like I have everybody in their corners, but the new cat has already bitten me and LP (who he is really used to!). The kids were spending the night with grandma last night, and they knew that we would be getting a new cat and are excited...but I don't want him hurting one of the kids.

What would you do? We do have pet pens we can put them in, but would that even help them get used to each other? I want to make the transition more comfortable for the cats, but obviously the children are a priority.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:48 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Pets

• I would give it a little more time...maybe a week or so. If they don't calm down by then, I'd probably talk to my vet. We have had to give an established cat an injection of Depo to calm her because she HATES newcomers. By the time it wears off (3 months), she's used to the newbie and there's not much of an issue.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:56 AM on May. 1, 2011

• When I bring a new cat into my home I never introduse them right away. That is asking for a fight. I put the new cat in a bed room for a week or two so that they can adjust to their surroundings. The cats will be able to smell each other and get used it. I will also switch whatever teh cats are sleeping on to help the adjustment. When I let the new cat out there will still be hissing and growling but they are generally more excepting.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:01 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I've introduced countless new cats to my crew (7 at the moment). Place the new cat in a room by itself ... with food, water, litter, etc., and make sure that room has a good door. Go in to see the new one, but keep them all separated for at least 3-4 days. They will be able to smell each other (and likely hiss/growl/swat from under the door), but not actually fight. Initially let the new one out for a little while and gradually extend that time. Sometimes there will be only a bit of fussing and things will be good, sometimes you'll have to use that room for a while longer.

Mine have now gotten to the point that they don't even twitch when a new cat comes in. And, you should know that there are some cats that will never really get along with each other ... although they usually learn to tolerate each other. GL!
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:34 PM on May. 1, 2011