How flexible are you?

Do you find it to be a pain in the butt when someone shows up unexpectedly?
Are you annoyed and stressed when DH just plans stuff without asking, whether it involves you or not?
Do you like to have a plan to your day, and feel like you have to stick to that plan to sucessfully get through the day?

I just feel like ever since I became a mother I have to have my day planned and if I'm thrown a curve ball I'm no longer a "go with the flow" kind of person.

For example, DH wanted to go to his parents house right after we got home from the store, but the kids hadn't eaten(we don't have the money to go out and eat either) and I needed to breastfeed our youngest as well. On top of all that, they were due for a nap. I got really upset because he just grabbed a couple of diapers from the house and wanted to go. I explained to him that to me it's not that simple....we have to figure out what they're eating (I didn't want to show up with kids hungry and expect my in laws to feed them), I told him if they didn't have a nap they were going to be super cranky. I don't like breastfeeding around my in laws, and I hate even more having to go into another room...
He couldn't understand why I was so stressed out.

Is anyone else like this? With kids, I don't feel like you can fly off the cuff with stuff!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• Naturally I'm not a very flexible person, but my husband is extremely spontaneous so I am becoming more that way. My oldest has autism and his need for schedule meshes very well with my own!

Answer by missanc at 11:45 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I would have told him, if he want to go to his parents house go then, with out you and the kids. You won't be ready to go for 3,4 more hours.

Answer by louise2 at 11:47 AM on May. 1, 2011

• He is the one that needs to be flexible, not you, right now you are the one that has a lot to do. He should of help feed the kids. Than you could of gone to the in laws.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:52 AM on May. 1, 2011

• i'm the same way. i work around my kids' schedules, not have them work around ours.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:56 AM on May. 1, 2011

• besides, i would never take my kids anywhere knowing they're hungry AND tired. that's just asking for unnecessary drama.
    tnm786

• I understand that feeling. You are the one that has to feed the kids and make sure they get enough rest. Hubs should have at least offered to help feed the little people.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:57 AM on May. 1, 2011

• He acts like "everything will fall into place".....NO you have to plan this stuff! You can't just leave and figure it out later! lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:00 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I am not a plan your day kinda person. I have an idea of what I need/want to do but I know that it isn't always possible to have a set plan cause there are to many unplanned things that pop up.

As for the hubby one of 2 things would have happened. He could have went with out me or we would have done it his way and when things went completely south I would have looked at him with an "I told you so" attitude and told him maybe next time he will listen to me. Truth of the matter is most things do work themselves out, it's amazing what we can do when we need to.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:09 PM on May. 1, 2011

• lucky...I guess I'm not crazy planned out, but I do know what we're doing today and make sure the kids are fed and happy before we go anywhere else, even if it's to the park for them....make sure they're fed, rested and drama free lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I have never been one for schedules or routines. No two days ere ever the same when my sons were little and we were known to be spontaneous and do things (even with infants and toddlers) on the spur of the moment. I would have told him that they needed to eat and then nap so AFTER naps we could go OR if it was a longer drive I would have let them nap in the car.
    tracylynnr31767

Answer by tracylynnr31767 at 12:26 PM on May. 1, 2011