Change your name when u got married?

I'm getting married in exactly one month. My man wants me to change my last name to his or at least have it hyphenated. I don't. Changing it is a pain, my daughter has my last name, and I have such a great last name now. Should I change it for him though cuz he's old fashioned and it means a lot to him? AND if I change it, should I go all the way or hyphenate?

emmyandlisa

Asked by emmyandlisa at 11:47 AM on May. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• i changed mine when i got married, and my oldest has my maiden name. that part didn't matter much to me because she's really close with my grandparents. so until my husband adopts, she will have their last name. it wasn't a pain either, just took my marriage certificate down to the SS office and had it done. i would change it, but maybe im old fashioned.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:49 AM on May. 1, 2011

• oops my parents*** her grandparents lol
    tnm786

• That is up to you and your husband to be. I didn't change my name but my husband was fine with my decision. Maybe you could talk with him some more to help him understand your position.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 11:50 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I've been married 5 years and I did change my name, dropping my maiden name. I probably would have hyphenated it, looking back. I don't plan on changing it again though...cause like you said, it's a pain :)
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 11:51 AM on May. 1, 2011

• It is a pain because you don't just change it with SS. You have to change your drivers license, your passport, all your credit cards, your bank accounts, your email addresses at work and at home, your letterhead etc. I wouldn't ask that my husband go through all that so why should I.
    Keksie

Answer by Keksie at 11:55 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I have my maiden name as my middle name now. I wasn't sure as to what I wanted until my boss changed it for my on my stationary and business cards.

For me it wasn't a big deal. His father was so much more a part of my life than my father was. So ditching dad's last name was a good thing.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:56 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I changed mine..... it was a SLIGHT pain but we had lots of name related stuff to do so not much of a big deal. We moved in together so both had to change IDs, add to each others bank accts, buy new checks, change insurance info, and so on

I am not into hyphens, too confusing to me personally. I had no kids prior to the marriage but if I did, I would've changed their name to his to unify the family
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:57 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I changed my name when I married my husband, even though my older 3 have my ex's last name. Do you plan on having more kids? If so, then their last name would be different from yours if you don't change it.

Answer by missanc at 11:57 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Hibbingmom-I can't change my daughters name to his because u need their dads permission and my ex would never allow it.
    emmyandlisa

Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 12:07 PM on May. 1, 2011

• that's a personal decision. i personally never wanted to change mine or i just wanted to add his so i would have two last names. dh got real upset with me so i ended up dropping mine and adding his..i should have never done that. i should have just done what i originally planned. it was in no way to be disrespectful to my husband if i kept my last name. but i did change it and its something i wish i hadn't. i've been married almost 7 yrs now

proudmom611

Answer by proudmom611 at 12:37 PM on May. 1, 2011