Is it normal for my 5 yr. old to masterbate?

He became aware of himself about 6-8 months ago, and everyday we catch him
with his pants down and humping his hands. Is this normal? Will he grow out
of this? What do I do when I catch him doing this?

Loettam

Asked by Loettam at 11:50 AM on May. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It probably started as an accident. He rubbed up on something, was being silly and grabbed there, or something similar and realized it felt good. The motto of any child is :If it feels good, do it more often. It is perfectly normal for a child to at some point of anther figure out that touching certain places feels good. Some are as young as 2 or 3 some may not figure it our until closer to 10 at which point they already understand modesty so you never notice. The thing is when a younger chils figures it out they need guidance as to when it is and is not appropriate to do these tings. It's not bad it's just private. It means nothing other than, they figured out something felt nice.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:04 PM on May. 1, 2011

• The best thing is to not act grossed out and try to remind him to close the door for his special private time..... and to wash his hands before/afterwards! totally normal, just teach privacy
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:52 AM on May. 1, 2011

• to masturbate means to manipulate your own genitals. so.... touch yourself. I think emmy might be thinking of something else? It's normal to touch your own body at any age. From 6 months to 99 years.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 11:54 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Its not abnormal (regardless of what PP says- you should do some research).

Masturbation is classified as any form of self pleasuring, which can even include nipple stimulation in some cases. When a child becomes aware that something feels good, they do it. Simple as that.

The rule in our house is, you can not play with your penis when you are not in your room or in the bathroom alone. It is something private that you do, and you do not do it around other people. I don't make a big deal out of it, it is normal, healthy, and shouldn't be anything to be ashamed of.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:57 AM on May. 1, 2011

• Our bodies are geared to feel good with certain touch...it feels good as an adult and not shameful or abnormal...what he is doing feels good and shouldnt be considered shameful or abnormal. Telling him without causing shame...that he needs to do that in private is all that should be said. Masturbation is extremely normal and can start at what ever age they realize it feels good.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 12:14 PM on May. 1, 2011

• He is not masturbating, he is just touching and that is very normal. You just need to teach him not to touch himself in public. I use tell my son go in your room if are going to do that.( his cousin had his hands down his pants 24/7)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:57 AM on May. 1, 2011

• I think it is normal. My son is 5 and he told me the other day that when he touches his penis it gets "big", when he doesn't touch it, it stays small. I have also seen him after he gets out of the bath, doing "the worm" on the carpet and then laughing because his penis was big. Self awareness. I try not to make a big deal out of it. I don't want him to be ashamed of his body and how it works. I believe it is just part of growing up.
    sunrisekn

Answer by sunrisekn at 12:00 PM on May. 1, 2011

• When I was about 9 my cousin told me that if you left bubble bath bubble on you private it would make it sore so after my bath one day I turned the water on and got in a crab walk position and put my private under the flowing water to rinse the bubble bath off. I was terrified about the bubbles making me sore. Anyway. I discovered that when the water flowed over that area it felt really really good. I didn't know how to describe it other than it tickled. My mother told me that was normal but not a good thing to do because that to could cause and infection and was a waste of water and encouraged me to try touching there with my hands when I was alone in my bed. I didn't see anything. I was never touched. I just kind of stumbled on something that made me feel great. My point is. It can be very normal for a kid to figure out that rubbing/humping/toughing/pulling... it makes you feel good.
    Anonymous

• Touching himself is normal, playing with himself probably normal, masterbating at that age I would think is not.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:00 PM on May. 1, 2011

• *tugging
    Anonymous