One of those days..

Have you ever questioned your happiness? I'm okay but think, dang shouldn't there be more.
I'm questioning, have I ever really had fun in my life? Do I even know how to have fun?
I'm a single mom, dd at 18, married at 24, two more kids and now divorced.
My divorce was in 2002, I've devoted my life to raising my kids.
Ppl say, you need a vacation, you need a break... if I had the money to go ??? Where? What would I do? Spend a lot of money to sit somewhere by myself... I can do that here at home for free...
I keep telling myself, my life will start when my job of raising the kids is done.. umm, never!
I don't drink, date. Smoke or do the bar scense. We go to church and the kids are in different activities.
We do get out and do stuff...
But still something is missing & I know, I have a lot to be thankful for...
I just wanna learn to be happy and really enjoy life... not just excist day to day..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• You sound like me. I don't drink either and my husband thinks I'm the oddest person in the world. It does seem like everyone drinks and you can't have fun unless you drink, but before I had kids I used to go to parties and still have fun without drinking Do you really think your real friends would care if you went to their party and didn't drink?

retent

Answer by retent at 12:26 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Mrsmom, I love the slumber party idea! lol I don't drink, but watching movies and maybe doing facials and stuff would be great. My mom and I used to do this while my dad was out of town working! My mom was also my guinea pig as I was learning in beauty school lol. OP, I am usually the non-drinker everywhere we go. Occasionally you'll run into others who don't drink, but never twice lol. I say find an interest (photography class, cake decorating) and dedicate some time to that. Your children will benefit from your outlet. So will you.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 5:38 PM on May. 2, 2011

• Do you have any girls' nights out? Any hobbies? You have to make some fun time for you! It can't always be about your kids. Volunteer, meet new people, anything to have some time around other adults is important. Vacations are nice, but if that's not an option, how about an old fashioned slumber party w/ your BFF? Send the kids to G-ma's, fix a batch of margi's & enjoy the evening! :)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:09 PM on May. 1, 2011

• That's part of the problem, I don't drink - never have. I've been invited to this and that but why does it always have to be about drinking. Therefor, I'm no longesr invited because I don't drink. I grew up with a father who drank everyday and it wasn't plessent. So, I go back to how do I learn to have fun? With drinking, do ppl really have to drink to have fun? I don't understand but I guess that's why I'm in this position.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:16 PM on May. 1, 2011

• slumber party -cute. riiiiight. lol, I can only say that this shouldn't happen but it does. Everyone seems to think that things are happening to them that aren't. Instead of looking at those ''great-expensive-complicated, and lonely '' things people are doing, that are in itself time consuming and boring; just pick one hobbie to start with, and let that be the basic ground.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:18 PM on May. 1, 2011

• volunteering isn't really ''me'' time'', lately all everyone wants is someone to volunteer. Jobs!! That is the way to be going. Then leisure time. Volunteering is something you do when you get the opportunity. For personal time, a good craft, hobby, or outdoor sport is perfect.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 12:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• OK- obviously my suggestions are not for everyone, as coffeeyum has pointed out- they aren't for her. Yes, it is very possible to have fun w/ friends w/out drinking. You could rent a movie, & order pizza & soda, take a walk at a park, or go for a bike ride. Window shopping can be fun too (unless you feel sad about all the stuff you want but can't get) Does your church do socials for the adults? Check for groups in your area that have mtgs. for single moms. There are opportunities out there- I'm sure you'll find one :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 12:31 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Sometimes life is like that. This 'mood' will eventually pass and things will get better.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:37 PM on May. 1, 2011

• you just have to look around and count the blessings you have in your life right now and if you want something to change or you want something new in life you have to figure out what it is your looking for and go after it...best of luck to you
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 10:35 PM on May. 1, 2011