Computer games??

My hubby and I keep butting heads over our three year old son. He -plays games on the computer. I have no problem with it once its educational and helps him learn things. But my hubby installed this stupid fighting game with shooting and stuff and he thinks its okay for our toddler to play it. I don't. He is way to young for learning this crap. Am i wrong??

gutterflower585

Asked by gutterflower585 at 12:17 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't have a problem with games.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 12:25 PM on May. 1, 2011

• He has one game with guns and shooting and the rest are more age appropriate and educational? Could you limit the amount of time on the shooting one? I think 3 years old is too young for those kinds of games but your husband didn't.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:34 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I think he is too young to be playing games like that. I'm with you.
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 12:43 PM on May. 1, 2011

• i think its fine, just limit the time on that game.....my parents told me that when i was 3 i would kick both their butts playing tomb raider on the computer lol and im perfectly fine that game had no effect on me whats so ever....i just have to have all the new tomb raider games that come out XD
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 12:55 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I agree with you.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:58 PM on May. 1, 2011

• well each to there own but since its your ol man that disagrees with you hes the one you need to convince your right or at least get him to respect your wishes especially if you guys cant agree then id go with not playing because you know for sure it wont hurt him not to play but some people say it will who knows
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 7:06 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Yeah, I'm not a fan of games like that at all, regardless of the age. But a 3 yr old does not need to be playing those types of games at all.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:46 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I feel very strongly about placing restrictions on both games and videos. Parents are so lax these days, I find it unbelievable and I wholeheartedly believe that society as a whole is going to pay for that, if we aren't already.

Age 3 is just too young. His little brain is not going to be able to properly process a violent shooting game. He is so impressionable at this age and you can not really know how he is taking it in. Even if it is not overly violent, it is still about shooting and fighting and encouraging hurt to something I assume. That is not okay.

I would keep the computer games to the education. Your son's brain is like a sponge right now and you want to be vigilant about what it is soaking up! This shooting game is not necessary.

My 9 year old and 6 year old play games, watch tv and movies. We have no toy guns in our home-no nerf *gasp* and we do not allow any tv or movies rated more than PG.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:18 AM on May. 2, 2011

• ...cont...

So we are not the norm. Many parents allow much, much more.

However, my children are top readers, top math students and love their sports. Their teachers say they are really well rounded. My son took his book with him to dinner tonight because he couldn't put it down and the family next to us marveled that a 9 year old boy would want to sit and read his book....for the record he is also very social.

As you raise your child, just remember there needs to be balance and time for the books. I hate how these apps and games have taken all the free time for some children...and it shows as they really struggle in reading. My son has an i touch, wii, xbox...but his time is very restricted on these AND no violent games!

You can see you hit something that I care about with this question!

I really agree with you, and you need to stick to your gut feelings on this!

Good luck!!!!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:22 AM on May. 2, 2011

• Everyone has thier own beliefs on censorship. I think you should discuss your opinions with your DH and listen closely to his. Than compromise. Don't make the discussion about this one thing. It should encompass how you plan to raise this kid at all ages.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:53 AM on May. 2, 2011