Picky eater

What is a good breakfast for my son? He doesn't/won't eat egg (any style), cereal, pancakes, waffles, french toast or sticks, muffins, bagels, any meat, hasbrowns, oatmeal or any hot cereal, grits..................toast.

Only thing I have seen hm eat is certain fruit...and not cheap fruit like apples and bananas. Not like blueberris, blackberris, and starfruit (all cost $3.19 and near me). I give him a pedisure w fiber so he can be full but I have tried every method of getting food into him and he will not eat it.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 12:29 PM on May. 1, 2011 in General Parenting

• If all he'll eat is macaroni and cheese, then feed him that for breakfast! Food is a battle I have given up on. My son won't eat anything not covered in cheese or chocolate. At least he drinks Pediasure, my son won't even drink that!
    kjjones91

Answer by kjjones91 at 12:35 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Have him help pick out the breakfast foods when you are shopping. Ask him what he wants to eat in the morning. My dd isnt a big breakfast eater. She will eat a banana and thats about it.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:43 PM on May. 1, 2011

• unless he is actually underweight or the dr said you must, STOP the pediasure. For starters it's expensive. You can buy some of his fave produce for that. Also it's very filling, so of course there's no room left for good stuff. Also it is FLAVORED, ie sugar.... which is probably why he is declining anything savory or salty. His palate has been trained to expect sweet things only.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:44 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Just give him what he does eat, for lunch or dinner. My son is very picky too but at least he likes cereal but it has to be chocolate.
    booger14

Answer by booger14 at 12:44 PM on May. 1, 2011

• also try and hit as many buffet restaurants as possible.... whatever is within a reasonable distance. It's a good (and cheap) way to expose him to a LOT of things without having to worry about buying a box of something he'll reject. Most buffets charge a VERY small fee for preschool age kids. Some places in my neck of the woods it's a dollar a year of age. Hold him up, show him the food/options and let him fill plates with bits of everything to sample.... you'll likely find some new faves.

Also EVERY grocery store has a store brand of frozen fruit (make certain it's no sugar added, though!!!!!) blackberries, etc etc etc. Show him his fave fruit on the package and encourage him to carry it to the checkout stand, put it in a bag, and carry it to the car himself. You can then put that in and on top of pancakes, yogurt, and so on. It's a cheap alternative until fruit prices go down.. and find your local farmers market
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:49 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Yep doc does recomend pedisure and HELL YEAH!!!! it is expensive but since he is sooooooooooo picky its the only thing giving hi vitamins and stuff. he is not underweight actually the pedisure is what helped him gain weight when he was underweight (due to his extreme pickyness). I have tried mac and chesse but he has turned on that too. I have givine him Ramen noodles cause he was liking that for a while and as of yesterday he os over it. He wont do any pasta and he use to like it. He only like Hersey's bar for chocolate besides that its a no. I have done cheese quesidilla and he wont even come near it. I have tried chicken - nope, lamb -nope , beef -hell no.....it is so frustrating cause want him to eat. He only eats fruit snacks and that is not good for teeth or body..............He is so cute I don't know why he has to be so darn picky.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 2:11 PM on May. 1, 2011

• my son is 7, he doesnt eat "breakfast" he has hamburger helper in the morning, chiken nuggets, pbnj sandwich. He doesnt like the normal bfast foods so I let him eat what he does like.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 5:54 PM on May. 1, 2011

• See its not just breakfast its all the time but try to start w a good breakfast...so far I have no clue besdes fruit snacks and blackberris......what he likes to eat. I'm going to take him to a buffett and see what he picks out...my son is only 2 so he can't tell me what he wants or really pick out what he wants. I let him pick out a snack and he got cheeze - its...I never seen him eat crackers a day in his life. He liked the cover.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 6:19 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Maybe he will go for those carnation instant breakfasts they are like a milk shake but with vitamins and such and also there are "generic" you know non name brand "pedia sures" because continuing that shouldn't hurt but will save money for his expensive taste in fruit lol
    Genice6

Answer by Genice6 at 12:12 PM on May. 2, 2011