How can I teach my 6 year old Asperger/ADHD son to swallow pills?

He will not eat yogurt or jello or most common foods for that matter.

kjjones91

Asked by kjjones91 at 12:31 PM on May. 1, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So, what does he eat? I know my son would not eat regular yogurt, but he would eat the Trix yogurt (smooth texture).
    Does he eat pudding?
    Also, what meds is he on? Some of them do come in a liquid form.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:37 PM on May. 1, 2011

• a friend of mine taught her son by having him practice w/ organic blueberries(u can buy them frozen). the organic ones are smaller than the conventional ones, making it easier. I have also heard of people doing M&M's

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:38 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My 17 yr old daughter still chew up everything. Even her pain pills after a dental procedure. I was like 23 before, I figured it out. Ice chips , m& m mini and then to regular m & m's.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 12:45 PM on May. 1, 2011

• We always have our kids eat something crunchy when they have to take a pill. Have them take a bite of food, tell them not to swallow, have them open their mouth, pop in the pill and give them a drink. It is easier because their tongue can't singe out the pill if there is other textured stuff in the mouth. We have used corn, chips, candy...anything with some kind of texture to it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:58 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I can't swallow pills easily so I put them in my mashed potatoes or banana. For lunch today I took them with my noodles. Soft wet mushy stuff makes it easy for me

Answer by admckenzie at 2:51 PM on May. 1, 2011