Toddler hates diaper changes

Recently my 22 month old DD hates diaper changes, she screams and cries and clenches her legs shut. I don't know why she does this and other times she's totally fine.
Is this just her getting ready for potty training and not liking mommy or daddy wiping and changing her anymore? or ..what do you think this could be from?

The only people who ever change her are me and my DF ,so I am not concerned about any abuse...just wondering what this new thing may be all about.

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 12:34 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Time to start potty training. If she doesn't like her diaper changed, thats the only other option.... And she might be fairly easy to potty train.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:37 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Ahhh... welcome to the terrible two's. There are many children who do this. It's part of them trying to control their surroundings. You could try potty training. It wouldn't hurt.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:38 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My kids all went through a stage like that. I bought a special musical toy for them to play with only at diaper change time. It was small and they could hold it and I could change them without the struggle. It only came out when it was time to change the diaper and as put away as soon as the diaper change was over. They loved that toy and got excited every time they saw it. It really made changing time easier.
    I didn't start potty training until they were waking up mostly dry and would run to the potty themselves when they had to go and could make it there before peeing. I tried with my oldest to potty train before that, but it was a struggle that lasted for a couple of years. With the younger two, waiting until they were ready really did the trick and both were potty trained within a month...Just some food for thought.

Good Luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:44 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My daughter did the same thing. For her, it was a sensitivity thing. She'd get diaper rashes like you wouldn't believe, so even using the Pampers Sensitives Wipes it was an ordeal for her. What worked in my house was honesty.
    "______ come here, you need a diaper change"
    "No Mommy!"
    *get her to lay down on the floor or couch*
    "Mommy HAS to do this now, I'll be a gentle as I can"
    *was still a fight, but taken in stages and me being as gentle as I could helped....And a running dialog of what I was doing too.*
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:57 PM on May. 1, 2011

• When my son started hating having "stuff" touch we started potty training and it's been going pretty good so far.
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 3:21 PM on May. 1, 2011