Spinoff of "Toddler hates diaper changes"

what do you do when your toddler (2 years old, 29 months to be exact) hates both diaper changing AND potty training?

sometimes she tells me when she's pooped in her diaper, others she won't. but either way, she starts sobbing when she knows she's about to get changed. she doesn't fight me when i'm changing her, she just hates the idea of having her diaper changed. like something bad is going to happen? i don't understand why. everytime i tell her it's okay and we need to get her bottom clean. when i'm done she's fine.

i tried potty training about 2 months ago, and we had a little bit of success. she had some readiness signs, she mimicked others bathroom habits, told me when she was dirty, and had an interest in using her potty. i took her to the store and let her pick out panties, bought stickers, and stopped using diapers cold turkey. it took a few days but she used it and did great for about a week. then she regressed and it became a fight getting her to go on it. i think it's my husband's fault for getting upset with her when she had accidents. but im holding off because i know if it's a battle, it's not time. i want to try again next month when she's 2 and a half. but if she cries again, and also cries during diaper changes, what gives?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 12:53 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is 16 now & she still does that, lol ... wait til those lady hormones kick in on her!

EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 1:01 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Don't worry, she will use the potty when she's ready.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:56 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Potty training isn't easy. It's a lot of patience and a lot of one step forward, three steps back. I was pretty much convinced my 2nd kid would start kinder in pull-ups, but my son was completely trained by 2 1/2. Just keep giving positive reinforcement when she does it right; if she has accidents, remind her of the right thing to do. Maybe she's picking up on her daddy's disappointment in her & not trying to potty train so she doesn't make him mad if she doesn't do it right.

Just hang in there!
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 12:57 PM on May. 1, 2011

• yea i think a lot of it had to do with the negativity she got from my husband whenever she had accidents, as much as i tried to sugarcoat it after that it was pointless. she is extremely sensitive... you have to be careful what you do/say around her because she cries at the drop of a hat.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on May. 1, 2011