How many presents do other moms give their 19 old in college. p.s. He moved in with his girlfriend.

universalchick

Asked by universalchick at 8:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• of course you give him/them what ever you want to or are financially able to. but in my opinion, he has started his adult life so he needs to be treated as such. he doesnt need to feel like he needs to match the gifts that are given as he may not be financially able, often to save face he may put himself into financial difficulty for the on coming months in order to do so. Christmas if finalcially chanenging regardless of who you are so help your young son out buy saying, "NO gifts for us, you take care of your newly started family, come over for dinner, id much rather have your company than a gift." we stop the huge gift giving as our kids moved out, not because we didnt want to show our love but because i DO love my children, but to start redirecting them towards their family not mine & help them to understand the financial burden doesnt have to spoil christmas. merry christmas!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2008

• Exaclty the same as if he were home. or more.

Answer by Bmat at 8:12 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would switch from "fun" to "practical" - if he is living on his own, he may appreciate a gift card to Wal-Mart or Home Depot more than another sweater or Guitar Hero.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I am 19 and married and my mommy got me a nursing nightgown and robe last year. LOL She will prolly get get me something for my pregnancy again, as I am pregnant again this christmas. Maybe a maternity outfit. Now, I'm sure your son won't want a nursing gown or some maternity pants, but I would buy what you can afford. An outfit is all my momma can afford. I like the idea of giftcards, cause they can buy food or movies or whatever.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I am 19 and married and my parents still get me the same number of presents that they get my brothers. And my son gets more than that. I think that gift cards are a good idea so he can get stuff that he really needs.
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 9:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Good question. My kids are grown...and now we are raising grandchildren. I have made it clear to my boys that they will have things to open but not on the scale theyre used to. Def. not as many as when they were younger. Christmas presents is about the little kids first, then everyone else. My husband thinks we do it this way because we both come from very poor families. More than one Christmas there was one gift a piece and you can bet it was never some new electronic item.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Mine aren't there yet, but I think I'd probably try to get at least one wrapped gift for him and one for the girlfriend (assuming you will also invite her to your home), and then give him cash or a gift card. I don't think the number of gifts for all your children has to necessarily be even, and he could probably use cash or a gift card more than toys.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I don't have a 19 year old... But my kids get two gifts and everyone else gets one... I don't think the holidays are about gifts... They are about family.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:42 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• in our family we have a budget and when one moves out/in with someone else the budget does not go up or down but it is now shared between the two. (my child will get alittle more then the friend/ until marrage) and then when a child comes along it is split by 3,4 so on and so forth.
    I also agree with more practical gifts.
    g/l
    Anonymous

• Lol...I'm 21 and married with a child, but my mom STILL buys me presents like my sisters. Not as many but about the same price range. Why? I dont know. I've told her not to, but she sd she can't help it. She's used to it. lol...and my daughter....dont get me started. Anything my mom sees that she "Thinks" my daughter would like she picks it up! My dad does that too./ So needless to say she's gonna have about 8000 presents under the tree this year! lol
    YanniSmoMMy

Answer by YanniSmoMMy at 3:43 PM on Dec. 4, 2008