• In the Spotlight:

My 3 day old is spitting up pretty bad. What do I do?

We just got home from the hospital last night and everytime I feed her she spits up all over the place. It just pours out. I've tried stopping and burping every ounce or so and we've tried a few different bottles to see if she was getting too much air but nothing is working. Burping more often did make it so she was spitting up a little less but I'm still worried about the reflux hurting her throat. I don't know what to do. Help

TarynAngel

Asked by TarynAngel at 8:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• was she doing that in he hospital?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Not bashing, but maybe you shuld try breastfeeding. My BF baby never spit up. If baby is only 3 days old, you havn't even given your milk a chance to come in. Breastmilk is designed for babies, and it is the healthiest safest form of nutrition. I know I don't know the whole story, but I think you should at least try. For you baby.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Call her pediatrician. Perhaps she can't take regular formula? Her doctor will have a better idea of what to do for her. Other than that, have you tried Dr. Browns bottles? They are made to reduce air; they really work too. (that is what we use). Also, when you mix her formula, are you letting the bubbles settle out of it? Hope the pediatrician can offer you a solution! (btw, I breastfeed too - my baby still spits up - so that isn't a guaranteed fix)
    nichvegas-mommy

Answer by nichvegas-mommy at 8:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Call the doctor or take her to an urgent care center, or (don't be alarmed by this suggestion, please) take her to the emergency room. You need advice by someone trained in this problem who can help you make sure she gets something that will stay down.

Answer by Bmat at 8:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have to agree with navy-wife. At least try to breastfeed for your baby. YOU hold the key to baby's comfort. YOU have the power to make it all stop. You have to ask yourself do you want baby to be miserable or would you rather do everything you possibly can to help baby out?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:50 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I breastfed my first and she still spit up too. I tried to do this one also but I wasn't gettin anything. I might as well have been tryin to get milk from my husband. At the hospital she wasn't spittin up at all but the first feeding at home is when she started spittin up real bad. I already switched to soy and I've been trying the MAM bottles because of the venting from the bottom.
    TarynAngel

Answer by TarynAngel at 8:57 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Please watch the baby! Most of the time they are going to try and change the formula, BUT when my oldest was about 4 months he quit breathing on me because of acid reflux. Scared me to death and they had to do all these tests on him. So, watch the little one!! The doctors decided to make him sleep on his tummy so that he wouldn't aspirate and stop breathing again. They gave him some meds to get the little flapper in his tummy to close and that worked! Just be careful---Talk to her ped and don't stop until you get answers. As far as breastfeeding....I didn't breastfeed him and I did breastfeed my youngest. My youngest had NO problems and has rarely been sick. I agree you should try just because of all the throwing up!!! Stay strong!
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 9:02 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• If you want to breastfeed you can!! You are 3 days out of course you appear to not have any milk. You have colostrum which has amazing benefits for baby. I would start putting baby to the breast as often as possible. It is far from too late to breastfeed and it is way too early to determine that you 'can't'. You can do it and baby truly NEEDS it!  If you need help please ask I am sure we could all make sure you get all the information you need to fell confident in your ability to breastfeed.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• navy-wife, my breastfeed baby spit up.

All you can do until you see the doc is stay on the same formula until the doc says to change since the change can be pretty harsh on the tummy. Sit baby upright after feeds (bouner works great) and burp often. Spitting up is OK. Also, try feeding less amounts more often. So if she's taking 2 oz at a feed, only give her one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• try a lacto-free formula. Mine had the same problem...projectile spit-up even! lol As soona s I switched to the lacto-free formula, they never spit up. Good luck!
    mommyhedden

Answer by mommyhedden at 9:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2008