Is popping your back bad for you?

I have my bf pop my back about once a week. Otherwise its so tense and painful! Will this cause me to have a bad back?

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 1:49 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Health

• Unless he's a chiropractor, he could do some damage. Try a massage or go to a chiropractor and have it done right.
    Anonymous

• My Dh went to a chiropractor one time and they messed his up worse. IMO popping your own back is no different than taking a chance with having a Chiropractor do it. Yes you can damage something. So can doctors. So just be aware of what chances your taking.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:56 PM on May. 1, 2011

• ok i wouldnt recommed doing that. chiropractors determine what needs to go where before "popping" anything. i am a massage therapist and think you should get a massage or see a chiropractor since your pain bothers you daily. a chiropractor can properly adjust you and a massage will east the tension of the muscles that are pulling you out of alignment.
    ThatBoysMom

Answer by ThatBoysMom at 1:58 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I do it all the time, I lay down on the floor and hubby steps on my back and often I hear the bones getting where they are suppose to be, always have done this and I am 61, it works and relieves my pain.

Answer by older at 2:10 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I can't see where it's hurting anything. It's just releasing gases. If it were terribly harmful they wouldn't allow chiropractors to do it for a living. I do it on my own with exercises

Answer by admckenzie at 2:16 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Now that Im pregnant i stand in front of him with my arms crossed, and he wraps his arms around my cheast and lifts me up while he bends backwards. My back pops like 30 times, every time. Hmmm, I never even considered chiropractor... I dont even think my insurance covers it. :(
    Tarrar

Comment by Tarrar (original poster) at 2:16 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Ooh, especially if you're pregnant it's not a good idea. Chiropractors aren't expensive, some insurance will cover some but most should at least put that amount towards your deductible. Chiropractors are trained to work with pregnant women and help them. And as much as I love massage, a chiro visit is less than half the cost of a massage for me, and so worth it.
    Anonymous