Do you have family like this?? Am I wrong to be so annoyed? What do I say?

My family has always been kind of small with my mother's family VERY distant even though they all live close by and my dads mother across the country and the rest of her nearby family not bothering us unless she is here with us. My father's side is my only extended family that I see on holidays and weddings. Well NOW I feel so crowded and annoyed because 8 relatives from my grandmothers side came here to live (from far away) and are totally up our rear ends every friggin week. This party-That party-Park-Dinner.... I feel so violated with them in our business all the time. If we don't show up they are calling and texting to see where we are, we'll get the 3rd degree about not attending the next time we see them, telling us how to change our schedule so that we can go... They won't acknowledge for a minute that we had a life this whole time without them and don't run our schedules around them!!!! I find myself making excuses not to be at events just so I can be home to relax and get things done. They act like there is no reason to not be with them. They might have lived like that but we didn't. I can't adjust. I can't even have my brother and his family over without them acting all rude because they were not invited. Even Christmas Eve they all expected to be at my Dads and he had to tell them it was just for his Grandkids to exchange and see him. They were pissed about it! We cannot include them in everything and I refuse to do things completely different just because they are here. Our routine is just that and they are starting to back off a bit. They should! It's been a friggin year!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Relationships

• lol my family is just the opposite. I grew up in a up your butt, love you like it's the last day we're going to see you kind of family. When I moved, my in laws were the total opposite. Now I fee like I have no family cause they are so "emotionally" distant and they make excuses not to come do stuff with us. We weren't overkill with the whole inviting thing, and even when we were asking them all the time to do stuff with us in the very beginning, they still wouldn't come.
    I think you just grew up differently and it's a total shock. It's hard to break from how you grew up. Decide what you want and they'll get the picture. They just want to involve you because they're family! xo GL!
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 1:58 PM on May. 1, 2011