• In the Spotlight:

I dont like going to bible study and my cousin makes me...

Okay so I am 19 and I live on my own with SO. Well I would like going to bible study but we have these bible verses we have to remember. Somtimes I cant get them down very good cause I have bad memory and my bible study instructor gets mad. It makes me dread going there. Why do we have to know them by heart anyways? I mean we read it once and get the gist of it. And not to mention it doesnt help that my cousin gets PO'ed at me when I cant go. She is like whats new blah blah blah. I just wish I could do bible study by myself at home and not get griped at. I feel like I am in school again. I have to do this or that or I get in trouble. Its not even a group either. Its just my cousin me and her. Anyways what should I do? I feel bad for even saying these things but its just driving me nuts!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• You don't have to go to a bible study group there is nothing wrong with studying at home and for them to get mad at you is ridiculous.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You are under NO obligation to attend Bible study. No where in the Bible does it say that... ye must go to Bible study. I believe that if it's not right for you...it's just not right for you. I study on my own as well as go to church and listen to God's word. If you have questions....ask God! Pray about it and see what hits your heart! I know that memorizing is really good because then you have ammo if needed, but Bible study is not for everyone!!
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 9:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• if you want to be in a bible study, and you aren't in a church that offers one or several, perhaps you can find a local bibly study that is non-denominational. a lot of cities offer them; its called BSF, bible study fellowship, and if you called around to the larger churches, i bet you could find where its held...and how to connect with it, if you wanted to. of course, if your church doesn't have one, i'm sure there are plenty of other churches that would welcome you in theirs. but like another pp, you can always study alone; its just more fun (usually) with a group, and it gets you out of the house, you get feedback from others who may think of something you didn't. its fellowship, as well as study, and all christians needs fellowship with other christians. good luck finding one that is right for you.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:39 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I am a big person on remembering scripture and going to bible study classes, HOWEVER, if you don't feel good about how people are treating you, then you have every right to duck of out of it. do you read the upper room, or other kind of daily devotionals? Work with those kinds of POSITIVE tools at home, or join a different kind of study. Or, tell them how they are making you feel, and that you want to be respected as an adult, and that's that. But, even with a bad memory-I've got one, just two nights ago i put popcorn in the microwave, and forgot-smoke was billowing out-you can still remember scripture. If I were you, try to find scripture that speaks to you personally, and memorize it so it stays close to your heart. Peace be with you.

McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 10:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• We do a Bible study where it's just a group of us that gets together and asks questions. We look for the answers in the Bible. It's very relaxed and laid back. We don't need to remember anything.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I would tell the cousin to go to hell, it's your choice weather you go to bible study or not... As for your study it self if you are uncomfortable find a new instructor... You don't need to memorize things. If you don't enjoy it what's the point?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• something isnt right about the group you do Bible study with! no one should be getting mad at you for not being able to memorize a verse...if you can't remember it, you can always look it up again! sounds like they all have some anger issues haha
    when i was a kid my parents always made me go to church & i HATED it...mainly b/c i found it to be too judgmental of ppl who thought differently (like me). you shouldnt go to a Bible study that might make you hate it all together. i stopped going to church & now study on my own & with my family. while i miss the fellowship with others, its worth being left alone to do whats most important...study & worship
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• You should memorize scripture because its YOUR WEAPON against the devil. God's word is sharper than a two edge sword. See Esph 6. He is prowling who to take down.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:33 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Remember there are three things that comes against us the world, the devil and the flesh. Once you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior the devil declares war on you. You are his enemy.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2008

• Knowing scripture benefits you so much. As you grow as a Christian you need to be increasing your knowledge and always be learning. I don't think the person running the Bible study and your cousin should be mad when you don't. They should find a way to help you learn and remember verses. Find another Bible study or do one on your own. I will say having a group study is wonderful because you can learn so much and you are spending time with others that are uplifted by God and will help uplift you. I do a personal study at home and a study at my church. I am new with this and am really struggling with my flesh. I want to revert to the old person and be lazy but know I will never grow in my faith and grow closer to God unless I am praying, reading my Bible and fellowshipping with other Christians.

momtoonecuteboy

Answer by momtoonecuteboy at 2:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2008