Double Standards?

Do you feel there is a double standard between adult men and women when it comes to having an affair with underage minors? There have been a number of cases in the news lately of women teachers having an affair with their students, but their sentencing seems to be lighter than if an adult male did the same thing. I believe either way it's wrong, but I find that society tends to be more forgiving for the women involved. There also seems to be a double standard in the view of the minors involved. Where an underage girl is thought of as a complete victim, the boys involved are treated with a more cavalier attitude, almost like "lucky him" Especially among men in society. Do they think boys are more adept to be less traumatized than a girl?

pinwheel

Asked by pinwheel at 2:05 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's a huge double standard. I've even noticed that the news media reports many of the cases differently. Like when an older woman molest a young boy they will say something like "Engaged in sexual activity with an underage boy." When the victim is an underage female the media will call it what it is, molestation or rape.
    It's almost like they want to lesson the crimes against the males and this is soooo wrong. Boys can be traumatized sexually just as much as girls can and the psychological repercussions can last a lifetime for a boy just like a girl.
    I say the women should get as harsh of a punishment as men do when they molest an underage male.Molestation is molestation regardless of the gender of the victim or the perpetrator.
    CallMeAngie

Answer by CallMeAngie at 2:20 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Both are wrong and gross.  Some don't want to admit women can be as vile and disgusting as men so they will find anyway they can to excuse it. 

chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 2:46 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I mean lets say they have a male judge. First of all they in my belief are going to have a soft spot for a woman. I could be wrong, but I just believe this based on what we have seen. Then you have lets say a 15 yr old boy whose having sex with a good looking 22 yr old school teacher. The judge might think the boy was in no way forced or violated and think back to his own days as a teenager. But when they look at a man in there for the same thing they think they should know better, and dont know if they forced themselves onto this poor impressionable girl. The fact is both situations to me are the same, but I do believe some bias comes into play in a situation like the one I cited above.

Answer by gemgem at 2:59 PM on May. 1, 2011

• When a male student has the fling with a female teacher, he got 'lucky'. When a female student has a fling, she was 'raped, taken advantage of, used for sex' and such. Yes, I do think it is a double standard.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 5:23 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Yes, I think that is an overall view, but it is definitely a double standard, because either way it is wrong.

Answer by older at 2:11 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Both are wrong. I think judges are more forgiving when it comes to women because it is harder to force a young man into sex than a woman. Maybe they think with a man he could force himself onto the girl? I really dont know why they dont treat it the same. This is the only reason I can think they dont.

Answer by gemgem at 2:15 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Gem, not sure what you mean by "it is harder to force a young man into sex than a woman."

To put it bluntly, a man has to have an erect penis to have sex while a woman can be made to have sex forcibly by any man with an erect penis.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 2:47 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I think our justice system is effed and makes so little sense in a lot of cases. I have a cousin who had consentual sex with an underage girl and got more time than a fellow prisoner who assaulted and robbed an old man who almost died putting him in the hospital for 2 months. Sorry that really doesn't make much sense to me.

In regards to the OP though, I don't think women should get a lighter sentence for the same crime.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 10:59 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Both are wrong and shouldn't happen!
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 2:10 PM on May. 1, 2011

pinwheel

Comment by pinwheel (original poster) at 2:23 PM on May. 1, 2011