Need help with a toddler

Ok, my almost 19mo son is a thumbsucker. We tried pacifiers when he was younger, he would never take to them for long and eventually he didn't want them at all. Now, his thumb is looking...what's a good word for this...worn. We need to stop him of the habit, but whilst reading an article on webmd, they advised against putting a bad-tasting thing on his thumb. As they put it, sucking is a security, and doing this would be like "pulling the rug out from under [his] feet." We've heard a recommendation to offer him a pacifier and get him used to that, then break him of that a little down the road. For anyone who has tried the latter option for their toddler, did it work? Or, besides something nasty, are there any other ideas?? Thanks for your time/advise.

mahrah

Asked by mahrah at 2:19 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I tried hot sauce and it only made it worse because he really like it!

But I got lucky because my son stopped on his own just before he turned two...

sorry I couldn't help more, Good luck!!!
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 2:57 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Just leave it for a while. He needs it. I sucked until I was 6. No braces needed either. Why do you need to stop it so soon? Nothing will happen to his thumb.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I wouldn't try to stop it yet. He is still a baby, and baby's need comfort. They do make thumb sucking devices that goes over the thumb to stop thumb sucking. I was a finger sucker and still find from time to time I wake up in the middle of the night sucking my fingers lolol. My teeth are straight, and my fingers are normal.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 10:41 PM on May. 1, 2011

• thank you for the advice, ladies :) to answer the question of why we need to stop it....it's drying his thumb out Majorly. And this past weekend, a bump of some sort has popped up on it. It looks like a callous. We can also tell where his teeth are being pushed forward a bit by it. I know he needs comfort, I just want to find something else, physical item or method, that gives him comfort.
    mahrah

Comment by mahrah (original poster) at 10:22 PM on May. 2, 2011