Potty Training... at a loss with a strong-willed boy!

Kinda long. Ok, here goes mamas! My sons shows all the signs of readiness to use the potty, likes his potty, wants to use it when he sees friends use it, etc. etc. but here are my challenges:
-- He does NOT want to wear underwear - he wants to wear a diaper, when wearing a diaper - he'll go #1 or #2 IN the diaper, take it off like underwear and then bring it to me. I've tried letting him go pantless around the house and putting him on the potty every 30 minutes... but eventually he just wants to put on a diaper. It is almost like a comfort thing.
-- I've tried rewarding his use of the potty with praise and with an M&M. Now, whenever he decides me wants an M&M, he'll go run and and try to peepee in the potty. He even grunts trying to PEE just to get a piece of candy.
Is he just not ready? Is it all just him trying to control the game? At a loss. He will be 3 in September. Should I just let him time this out casually, or just ditch the diapers? I DO NOT want to pressure him, but he's strong-willed and likes to rule the roost. Thanks.

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 2:49 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe you ought to just switch up your system a little? let him pick out a pack of big boy underwear, and explain that he gets to wear these now but be careful not to pee on (whoever character or design he picks) and to go to his potty. also, maybe use stickers instead of candy? it sounds like he is ready but you will just have to follow his lead.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:52 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My son is the SAME way!!! And I haven't figured is out yet so I can't help you, but know you're not alone!!!
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 2:53 PM on May. 1, 2011

• OP here - he picked out his own underwear (Toy Story) and we talked about not getting Buzz/Woody wet. Still would rather a diaper. Lol. Such a strange kid. Good idea on the stickers/non-candy rewards!

mevxoxo

Comment by mevxoxo (original poster) at 2:55 PM on May. 1, 2011

• my 2 year old is like that. she does not want to wear panties she wants to wear a pull up or diaper... but when she pees in her panties she can feel it and tell me that's why i like to do panties only when potty-training. she sure does not like that wet feeling! lol
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:59 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I'd get rid of the diapers- if you let him wear them- he's having it his way- peeing for candy AND wearing diapers too

when I potty trained my kids we lost the diapers and no pull-ups. Just underwear and yeah- I used candy like that too- my kids were both done in 2 weeks
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 3:00 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My Big Boy Potty by Joanna Cole. I was gifted the girl version for my daughter and she LOVED the book, even at 18 months old. This book covers ALL the stages AND has tips, tricks and advice in the back.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:09 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I tried the whole not wearing pull-ups for a day thing and he peed on the floor six time :( and none on the potty....... I did a lot of mopping yesterday!
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 3:15 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Let him go at his own pace. My kids were 3 and 3months when they were trained. If you make a big deal about the diapers it will turn into a big battle and you don't really want that.
    I think he's ready but wants to be in control of it. And that's OK. Tell him he can use the diapers until he's done with them. Or give him a deadline like "when you turn 3, then no more diapers"
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:16 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My son was the same way. After time the grunting to get candy actually turned into peeing. We're now at a point where he has # 1 down pat and he's wearing big boy undies (he just decided one day). Now, he's getting candy for going # 2. I think you are totally on the right track.
    wanderingmuse

Answer by wanderingmuse at 9:50 PM on May. 1, 2011

• you might try pull ups and jsut start out taking him every 15 min. I had to do this with my son and now we are in underwear and go every 30 min. He doesn't tell me he has to pee but will tell me when he has an accident. We have been potty training for about 4 weeks now and he has gotten so much better. But now he wants to wear underwear ALL the time! :) Just be strong and keep telling him about how big boys wear underwear and if dad is in picture let your son see him in his underwear. This helped my son too.(my husband normally doesn't wear underwear but did for about a week to help my son to want to wear his and it worked)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 4:33 PM on May. 2, 2011