Ear piercings.

My daughter is 3 and a half and does not have her ears pierced. What is a good age to let a little girl get her ears pierced?

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 2:56 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• depends on the girl. If your ok with it and she wants it it might be a good age, I was around that age and I wanted earings.
    LittleBirdFly

Answer by LittleBirdFly at 2:59 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My belief is to wait until your child actually wants their ears pierced. My DD is 5 and has yet to have asked for it. When she asks, she will get, but I'm certainly in no rush. I was 11 before I got mine pierced.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:59 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Middle school, when SHE can make the decision and can care for them herself.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:59 PM on May. 1, 2011

• all 3 of my daughters had theirs done when they were infants. never had any problems and now that they're older they can pick what earrings they want to wear, so they still have a choice in the matter. if they don't want earrings at all, they can take them out and the hole will close up.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:01 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I waited till my daughter was old enough to decide if she wanted them.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:02 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My kid was 6 weeks old and they never got infected.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:03 PM on May. 1, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and has had hers done... she asked for them whens he was 3 and she got them done.... we keep the cleaning solution out on the counter and she remember in the morning and at night that we need to clean them.

I say as long as you are ready to take care of them and take the risk of them getting an infection ( which i actually think they all get atleast a little sore at one time or another) ... then it should be fine.... It isnt like a huge thing if you get them done, it isnt going to make her grow up to fast or anything like that.

if I were to have another daughter I would get her ears pierced around the same age.
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 3:03 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I'd wait til she can take care of them herself or until you're ready to do it for her.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 3:06 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I was 12 when I finally got mine pierced, even though I BEGGED my dad for years before that. It finally took my mother coming out for one of her extremely rare visits when I was a kid, and a trip to another state to get them pierced.

My daughter is 4. She'll get her pierced when 1) she asks for it and 2) We deem her old enough to completely care for them herself.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:16 PM on May. 1, 2011

• One of the infants I babysit has pierced ears, and occasionally they get caught when I am taking her onesie off. She has a bit of a Charlie Brown big head so I have to make sure to be especially careful or they will snag and cause her pain, sort of hard to do sometimes when she is wiggling about, or wants to crawl away. I would suggest waiting until your daughter asks for them.
    pinwheel

Answer by pinwheel at 3:26 PM on May. 1, 2011