So my son has been diagnosed with autisim. i feel so much guilt, i'm lost, i'm sad, i'm confused and i feel so alone. is this normal?

ginateska

Asked by ginateska at 3:12 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'd be more worried if you didn't cry ! Hugs to you...I have 3 children with Autism....but let me tell you, in the 6 years since my children were diagnosed, it has been the most incredible life you could possibly imagine...it's been challenging more than anyone could know, but I've learned so much about life...not just autism, but about life ! It's a journey. My doctor told me this when my son was diagnosed..."Phillip is the same boy today as he was yesterday. He doesn't know he has autism or anything that makes him different. All he knows is that he has a mother that loves him with all her heart unconditionally and a sister who is a royal pain in the butt." And that sounded so incredibly funny and normal all at the same time.....you will do things with your child that is different from other families...but you will enjoy it the same if not more ! I can send you a bunch of stories I just typed up if you'd like...
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 3:20 PM on May. 1, 2011

• am i losing my mind? am i being selfish because i'm not handling it well? i just want...........? i just want to stop crying.
    ginateska

Comment by ginateska (original poster) at 3:13 PM on May. 1, 2011

• ((hugs)))
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:14 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Hugs!!!! I remember when my son was first diagnosed, I went thru a variety of emotions ranging from relief (as now I knew why he did the things he did), to sadness, worry, and feeling overwhelmed and alone. There are quite a few great groups on here for Autism-- I found it is a great place for support, advice and to talk to others who are dealing with the same issues and 'have been there done that'. Just remember he is still the same little boy you know and love- that has not changed. The only thing that has changed is he has a diagnosis. If you ever need someone to talk to, feel free to message me.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:19 PM on May. 1, 2011

• my daughter does not have autism but there are a large percentage of moms on here that do have children with autism. from what i have seen, most of them can live a normal life. you are not alone. as he grows up, this won't even seem like a big deal anymore. he is your son and you will love him and you will share a wonderful life together.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 3:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I have a 4 year old daughter with Autism. You are in mourning for all that you wanted for him and what you pictured. It is normal! Send me a msg if I can help... Where are you located?
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:50 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Very normal. I was told when my oldest was diagnosed (he's now 13) that I would go through the same grieving process as if he had passed away, and I did. The first years were very hard, and overwhelming. Find out if you have a local autism society, or support group for families with special needs. That's where I met my "group" They are other moms of special needs kids and my closest friends, they are who I turn to when my world seems to fall apart - which happened fairly often in the first few years!
    However - I have 5 kids now and most of our sitters say my oldest is by far the easiest of all my kids. He's compliant, and loving with a great sense of humor. You will get through this!!

Answer by missanc at 5:21 PM on May. 1, 2011

• thank you all for the hugs! lord knows i need them, my lil man is the center of my world and there really never is a dull moment with him. i live in a small town located in northern MN.
    ginateska

Comment by ginateska (original poster) at 5:26 PM on May. 1, 2011