Ok, my child's name is spelled "funny"... get off my back.

My daughters name is spelled a little unique ... everyone has always said they liked the spelling ... my son has a very common traditional name..... I have to spell BOTH of their names to anyone writing them down, which really is not that often .

Also my name is Andrea -- which is very common, I have seen literally hundreds of other Andreas ... and yet my name still gets spelled wrong and said wrong....

no matter what your kids name is, or how it is written, someone will have a problem with it.

I am tired of other cafemoms ( no one else has ever had a problem with it ) basically makeing me feel horrible because I spelled my daughters name "wrong" ... you will never have to write it, spell it, or say it , so it should not matter.

I think if this is such a problem, everyone should post thier kids names and see what kind of fun we could have with them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on May. 1, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Well i love the way you spelled her name. I always said that if i were to give my little girl a common name i would spell it different, make her an individual ya know. And no one should be givine you hell about this. Just because you had a mind to make your daughter unique and not ust another name in the box they shouldnt be jelous, and thats what it is. If it was me it would bother me as well. And for everyone that wants to be pricks and pains in the but to other mothers on here this is supposed to be a SUPPORT site. A site to to help moms with there questions, if you have nothing better to do than make someone frustrated, bothered or feel bad for any reason than you shouldnt be on this website, no none wants a trouble maker her so stop being a*holes.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 5:26 PM on May. 1, 2011

• I agree with you. My mom gave my name a unique spelling, which everyone I've ever encountered has said they like, except my English teachers who always had to give me a lecture on why spelling my name the way it's spelled & pronouncing it the way we do is "wrong". Whatever, it's my name & I have to live with it, not them. Granted, when I was a kid I hated it, but it was mostly because I could never find things with my name on them spelled correctly or incorrectly...lol
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:26 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Because it seems to annoy the majority of people. We're not necessarily picking on 'you' - as I have no idea who you are. But this affects my life as mother with kids in classrooms filled with kids with difficult to spell names - and there are always the parents out there who get offended because it's not as obvious as some seem to think it is.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:27 PM on May. 1, 2011

• Honestly, I don't like how you spelled it. Working at a school I would be double checking to make sure it wasn't a misspelling or error. I understand why you named her, and it is a pretty name. Just not the spelling. As for people complaining about it. Oops! Jmho
    Anonymous

• just curious, what's the name? people use unique spelling all the time for their childrens names
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 3:23 PM on May. 1, 2011

• and like you said, even common names with common spellings get misspelled. i wouldn't worry about those people! :)
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 3:24 PM on May. 1, 2011

• If you don't care then why exactly did you feel the need to post this? ::shaking head::
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:25 PM on May. 1, 2011

• That's actually pretty self-explanatory on the pronunciation... that's why I always hate about the "weird" spellings of names... worrying if I'm saying it wrong. When I still worked, my job was at a hospital registering patients for tests... I can't tell you how many times I was yelled at (mostly by a parent) because I said the name that was spelled "creatively" incorrectly. My favorite was the time I called our for "Ryan" (which was how it was spelled) and the mother nastily informed me her name was "Ry-anne". But your daughters name is straightforward, easily sounded out and most importantly, the name YOU chose for her.
    jess_merrick874

Answer by jess_merrick874 at 3:43 PM on May. 1, 2011

• First of all I want to say that Crslynn is a very pretty name. Yes, the spelling is different, but you still can get the jist of what her name is (not like some names that are spelled so different you don't know what the name actually is supposed to be). Second, no matter what you name your child there will always be someone who will find someone to pick at you, complain and find fault with the name you chose. The important thing is YOU like your daughter's name and it has special meaning to you. If people don't like it... too bad!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:53 PM on May. 1, 2011

• so...what is it?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:24 PM on May. 1, 2011