how long is too long of a hot shower?

I know that we aren't supposed to raise our body temp too much while pregnant, but I have always loved hot showers, not scalding hot, where I get blotchy but hot where is feels wonderful hitting ur back and neck.. just wondering if 10 minutes in there is too long?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2008 in Pregnancy

• That depends. But hot water.. hot showers and hot bath could cause contractions. so be careful with the hot water :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:59 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• to me too long is where u run out of hot water!! as long as ur comfortable and not in any pain or having contractions ur good too go, enjoy a long shower when u can cause later it will be rush rush rush...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 9:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i took hot waters and baths all the time and my two kids are fine...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• lol showers sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I have read that you can have all the hot showers you want, but be careful of baths. A bath is not supposed to be more than 98 degrees I believe (I could be off, I am going by how hot it would be for a water birth). Baths are worse because it is total submersion. Showers you usually are only on one side of your body and don't give you enough time totally heat up.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:29 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• i took hot showers like that untill i had no more hot water and i was just fine listen to your body
    garricksmommy

Answer by garricksmommy at 10:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I was told that a hot shower is good for you especially when in labor because it can relax you. I have always taken long long long hot showers with both pregnancies. It does relax me and it feels so good on my belly. My Dr. said that my body will tell me when I should step out of the shower and it does...I just feel like I am getting to hot and need to get out.
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• I've taken a lot of warmer-than-usual showers during my pregnancy. I've heard that in the later weeks it can send you into labor, but GAH, if that's true, I would've had my baby here now instead of being miserable o.o

I guess as long as you're comfortable you'll be fine. If something is wrong, your body will overheat and you'll know to turn the water down =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2008

• When I was pregnant w/ my dd I asked my OB/GYN about baths, cuz I love to take them. She said as long as the water wasn't scalding hot the baby would be fine. You aren't totally submerged in the bath unless you have a huge tub or are in a hottub, so the portion of your body that isn't under water controlls the body temperature. So I would think a hot shower wouldn't hurt, cuz you aren't submerged.
    LenasMom27

Answer by LenasMom27 at 4:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2008